Most base model truck you've seen? 1989 Cheyenne K2500 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I’m not sure on the tow hooks. It’s a strange puppy.

One other weird thing is it only has 2 speed wipers, Hi and Lo. Not that incredibly uncommon, but there is no self-park feature on them, which was strange to me.

I also didn’t realize there was no cargo lamp on the rear cab - just nothing! I can’t ever recall seeing that before either, I think even the W/T were all optioned with cargo lamps.
Tow hooks are RPO V76 (my former '94 GMC C1500 came with 'em, so that's from its SPID label)

I've seen the 2 speed wipers (non-intermittent/pulse); I'm pretty sure (not 100%!) they should still have a park function. It may be that your harness socket on the wiper motor circuit board has bad solder joints which is a very common problem, though it's a little bit extra work to get the board out of the pre-1991 style wiper motor in order to repair it. 1991-up is cake to repair. There's also a contact disc inside that has grease on it and over the years the grease hardens up; it may be interfering with the motor's ability to determine its position in order to park correctly.

Cargo lamps on the early trucks were very much optional equipment; RPO UF2. I've seen a lot without them. Once 1994 came along it was standard equipment since the CHMSL was federally mandated, it was a no-brainer and easy for them to include a cargo lamp along with the brake lamp assembly. Not sure if the 1994-up CHSML/cargo assembly has its own RPO or if it's included in one of the "lamp group" RPO's.

Richard

Nick_R_23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn guys, knocking it out of the park here.

Great view on that diagram. I was curious how the storage cubby went in, so now I’ll know what to look for at the junkyards.

I’ll take a look at the wiper motor itself and see if there’s anything I can find inside. I would imagine self park would be a feature, but with this truck it would not surprise me if it wasn’t.

The UK4 code calls out an AM/FM radio, I believe a strictly AM radio received a different RPO code. I’ll bet I even have a factory radio stashed away from a truck a long time ago, I should dig around and see if I still have it.

The next big step is pinning down the misfire that it has. I’m banking on it having a dead cylinder and needing a rebuild.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had 3 very Base trucks:

My '74 GMC with an I6/3 on the tree and nothing else.
You must be registered for see images attach

(I added the chrome side molding/two tone)

My '89 k2500 Cheyenne with no radio, but A/C and power windows.

(I screwed some side molding on this one as well)
And my Current daily, a '98 Suburban K1500 with 3 bench seats, no dome lights, wind up windows, rubber flooring, and a manual T-Case.

You guys ever watch coldwarmotors?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Nick_R_23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like that suburban. The older I get, the more I seem to appreciate manual everything. It just rarely fails!

I’m curious on your ‘no radio’ truck also. Can you post a picture of that dash too? Did it come with some sort of blank plate for the radio?

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like that suburban. The older I get, the more I seem to appreciate manual everything. It just rarely fails!

I’m curious on your ‘no radio’ truck also. Can you post a picture of that dash too? Did it come with some sort of blank plate for the radio?

The guy I got it from had put a radio into it, so I didn't get a blanking plate, but he told me that he got it without one.

Speaking of radios, My '74 didn't come with a radio either, but someone installed a mid 50s Becker Europa Highway Hifi AM/FM radio into it and made it look factory.
(IT STILL HAS TUBES!)

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 83 K5 Blazer was an Arizona "Salt River Project" truck.
It came with nothing but a/c
2 speed wipers, rubber floor mats, radio delete plastic crap door panels etc..
The only other time ive seen something like that is when I was a Dodge salesman.
We always had a bone basic no option truck on the lot so we could run an add in the paper
"Dodge Ram blah, blah, blah...
Only $15,995!
A truck so horrible that no one would ever consider buying it.
Called a "bait mobile"
Ocasionally, someone would buy that **** wagon and it was a mad scramble to get another one

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had an 88 k1500 ex Pacific Power truck that was optioned with a short bed and the 305. Otherwise nothing else. No ac, radio, gauges-nothing. I finally put in a radio when I was singing "Old McDonald had a Camaro e-i-e-i-o and his Camaro fell off the blocks e-i-e-i-o". That day I mounted a radio underneath the dash. I didn't have any brackets handy so I used hinges but dang it, I had a radio!