More Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
My first post on this thread:

My vote goes toward a vortec 350 out of a 96-up truck and a tbi to vortec intake. Would be a major power improvement over the tbi 305 and vortec 350s are cheap around here. A even cheaper route to go with this is buy a cheap carb intake for the vortec and run a tbi-carb adapter/spacer on it. IMO thats your best bang for your buck.

BTW, you will need the flywheel for a vortec. They are weighted differently and have a different bolt pattern. Other than that, Its plug and play. Find one in a wreck that you can hear run, and possibly drive.

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
My first post on this thread:

BTW, you will need the flywheel for a vortec. They are weighted differently and have a different bolt pattern. Other than that, Its plug and play. Find one in a wreck that you can hear run, and possibly drive.

The thing is that it will not run a as good as it would in a 96+ truck with out a tune. The vortec heads require much more spark. The computer is set up to run a 305 add well so it would also need an update in the fuel tables.

Sent from Robl@nd

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
The thing is that it will not run a as good as it would in a 96+ truck with out a tune. The vortec heads require much more spark. The computer is set up to run a 305 add well so it would also need an update in the fuel tables.

Sent from Robl@nd

junkyard 5.7 PROM?

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
It would help on the bigger cube side but the spark tables should still be updated for optimum performance.

Sent from Robl@nd

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
I wouldn't go as far as waxing but yeah it would be better.

I have been doing allot of reading the past few weeks and I really want to get into tuning. I'm not sure which root to go though.

Sent from Robl@nd

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
gears will help more than an engine. for tuning hit up gearhead efi, youll need a Moates.com G1 adapter, and ALDL cable a laptop and some burning software.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Forgot to mention something simple that may have been overlooked. Make sure the flap inside the air cleaner housing is opening up when warm.

Actually, either way get rid of it, and cap off the hose going to the exhaust manifold.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
actually headers would help and transfer over to a 350 when the time comes. I remember yesterday i put a set of longtubes on a gmt400 idr what the loong tubes were for exactly as i have a set for a chevelle, 2nd gen fbody, k5, and a few other vehicles but they fit just fine lol.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Forgot to mention something simple that may have been overlooked. Make sure the flap inside the air cleaner housing is opening up when warm.

Actually, either way get rid of it, and cap off the hose going to the exhaust manifold.

Or do this
You must be registered for see images attach