More Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evatyl14

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Allright I'm new to this whole forum thing, but I'm in need of some help. Ive got a 305 tbi, Looking for a little more power. Ive got a throttle body spacer & k&n air filter. I did notice improvement since I bought the truck. But id like some more power. Was thinking maybe intake? Cam? Plugs? Wires? Looking for advice on what to get and how to achieve this. im running 35" tires so she gets a little doggy sometimes. Thank you

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Your best bet is to swap to a 350 thats gona be the cheapest way

95chev

Fear the Deere
Reaction score
Allright I'm new to this whole forum thing, but I'm in need of some help. Ive got a 305 tbi, Looking for a little more power. Ive got a throttle body spacer & k&n air filter. I did notice improvement since I bought the truck. But id like some more power. Was thinking maybe intake? Cam? Plugs? Wires? Looking for advice on what to get and how to achieve this. im running 35" tires so she gets a little doggy sometimes. Thank you

Dad has had a couple of trucks with 305's and he says they are a terrible motor for a full-size truck way underpowered and there isn't a whole lot you can do about it, your best bet is find a good used 350 to drop in

Evatyl14

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im not looking for serious performace, just a little extra for them 35s. she'll get up and go. With 31s I never had a problem. hauled/towed cars/trucks. Did what I needed to do. Just want to give the engine a little more, so the it aint getting dogged down. I like to hit the mud, fields, trails with it for SaG. being its a 95 I cant but an Edhe on it, so I don't know what for chips I could run, wouldn't mind a little better fuel mileage. I haven't changed the plugs or wires sinse I bought the truck.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
regear will be your best bet, dont waste money on a 305tbi motor in a fullsize truck. in a car its a different story. save some money for gears and if you need more then build yourself a decent not tbi headed 350+ unless you want to mod the crap out of some tbi heads. a full tuneup is definitely gonna help, plus an aftermarket coil, etc etc.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
An ignition tune-up (plugs, wires, cap and rotor) can make a mild difference if they've been on there too long. Check timing while you're at it too.

Intake/cam/heads will certainly help, but that's money far better spent on a 350,... An ECU tune and exhaust may help and would pave the way for a 350 swap.

Your best bet would be different gears. A 4.10, 4.56, or even 4.88 ratio would help turn those 35's a lot!

Edit: avoid Accel's caps and rotors, and MSD's direct-fit coils. It's all Chinese-made garbage now.

Last edited:

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
accel and Msd stuff is hit or miss, mines doing great. alot of stuff is chinese made nowadays so try out what you like and if it causes issue then take it back. tune on a 305 will have to be changed for an upgraded 350.

megaburb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^^ pull it, find a log chain and hang it from the side of a boat. The loss of power is the heads in the 305. A guy here in town builds them for endurance cars and make awesome numbers but to do it he uses 307 heads with a stock 350 cam and a single plane four barrel intake. Save the money it would take to build a 305 and buy and freshin up a 350. My 350 is mildly built and can spin over 35's no problem....

94' GMC MEGABURB

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
305s had decent heads depending on year and model, more so than the 307. those are fun to put twin 250 shots into and see how high they hold that for sure. gears are his best bet without pulling the engine without a doubt, those gears will only benefit him even more when he does swap that engine out though.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
accel and Msd stuff is hit or miss, mines doing great. alot of stuff is chinese made nowadays so try out what you like and if it causes issue then take it back. tune on a 305 will have to be changed for an upgraded 350.

Why go through that trouble when you can just buy quality stuff that's made in the states the first time?