Monitoring my trucks actions with a computer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just bought the ELM327 wifi setup for Iphone and a 3 foot extension cable that has a 90 degree connector on the end that plugs into the OBD port. I then use the DashCommand app on my phone which then sends the data to my DD radio which uses AppRadio. This makes the DD radios screen a full digital dashboard. I havent had a chance to get it installed and working yet. Maybe Monday. Look on Youtube for videos.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
I ordered one of the bluetooth adapters on ebay for $9 shipped and bought the $5 Torque Pro App. The adapter is apparently bad, so I haven't got to use it yet. They are sending a replacement at no charge and no return shipping and I just deleted my rant about Chinese crap. It seems like what I want to be able to do and look at. Check and reset codes, monitor temp and oil pressure. You should check out videos of the torque pro app on youtube.

One thing I'm not sure of yet is what kind of information I'm going to get. 96 is the first year for OBD2 and I've heard some vehicles give really limited readings.

Can anyone shed any light on that?

Last edited:

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Give me a couple days and I'll you know what the Dash Command app picks up from my 98

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here are a few screen shots of what the DashCommand app can monitor on my 98. I have not taken it for a ride yet. I simply plugged it in just to take these pics for everyone. I still need to put some info in for the app to monitor a few things a little better. I need to get trans ratios, tire height and axle ratios inputted still.

You must be registered for see images attach

All the above "dashboards" are displayed on the DD radio like this:

The OBD reader sticks out from the bottom of the dash and can be hit with your knee very easily while driving so I bought a 3 foot extension cable with a 90 degree connector on the OBD end. The cable and adapter will then be hidden up under the dash out of the way.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, it does reset codes. There is a video online that shows a guy purposely setting off his SES light and then using the app to read it and delete it.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
One thing I'm not sure of yet is what kind of information I'm going to get. 96 is the first year for OBD2 and I've heard some vehicles give really limited readings.

Can anyone shed any light on that?[/QUOTE]

My truck is a '96.
It wouldn't read the trans temp (I knew it wouldn't).
The spark advance was incorrect. It showed retarded by -20 to -40 degrees. I even tried a different ECM, it read the same.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
My truck is a '96.
It wouldn't read the trans temp (I knew it wouldn't).
The spark advance was incorrect. It showed retarded by -20 to -40 degrees. I even tried a different ECM, it read the same.

Exactly the type of info I'm looking for! Thanks!