minor scratch removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmcz71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
after buying my truck used, i expected a few scratches here and there.....turns out the previous owner had a dog, and lived next to a paint yard, to theres overspray, and tons of minor scratches in the clear coat, i got the overspray off, anyone know what i can do about all the minor scratches?

Last edited:

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It all depends how deep the scratches are. They tend to fall into 3 catagorys.
1. Light scratch on the surface of the clear
2. scratch that is in the clear
3. scratch that is through the clear into the base coat

If your scratches fall into catagories 1 or 2 then you should be able to get them out if you know what your doing. If they are light enough scratches, you should be able to buff them out with compound with a wool pad, followed up by a glaze with a foam pad. How is the finish of your paint? Does it have orange peel? If you don't know what I'm talking about with the vague buffing description, I'll be more then happy to get into detail for you!

gmcz71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
the paints looks like the truck is straight from the factory, no peels in the clear or anything, and the clay kit smoothed it out, most of them are minor scratches in the clear that barely show, and theres a couple white scratches that are in the clear, nothing is through the clear