Minimal Maintenance done last 12 years... what to do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

black90sport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Let me start off by saying the truck only has 5000 miles in those 12 years. When I started working on it, I was in high school and it took 3 years to get it to driveable condition. Lots of cancer and transmission was blown and lots of bad body parts, brakes were garbage, driveshaft was falling off etc. I changed the plugs and wires and the oil has been changed, coolant flush and new radiator. It is now in the process of getting road worthy again after basically sitting for 7 years after i finished all the work. Trying to figure out what all I should do.

So far it has had a tune up with new air filter, distributor cap, rotor, plugs and wires, funny how much that helped. I also have parts to change the thermostat.

I am trying to figure out what to do next engine wise. I have seen a lot of talk on here about the IAC valve so I am going to go ahead and replace that while I'm getting into things. What else would you suggest I do to ensure a properly running vehicle?

vic_v8

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuel filter, Sea Foam the intake, and I would just clean the IAC instead of buy a new one, unless you need it.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Go through your brakes. Replace all the rubber hoses and flush out all the old brake fluid. Brake work isn't sexy, but it will keep you alive. I see you mentioned brakes, but those rubber components need to be changed if you haven't already done it.

black90sport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the brake lines were replaced with stainless steel braided lines about 5 years ago. I do need my rear drums completely rebuilt but im trying to figure out a disc conversion instead.

black90sport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have done some research and tried to knock out a lot of the stuff. Just wanted to see if there was anything I was missing while i had the engine bay torn apart.

vic_v8

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For Sea Foam, take of the air cleaner, pour abour 2 oz s down each side of the throttle body. Let it sit about 10 minutes, fire it up. It will start like an old truck with a loaded up carb. You might have to floor it to start it. Sea Foam will loosen all that old carbon and blow it out your tail pipe.

You can either suck the rest of the can through the brake booster (I'm sure their are Youtube videos) or simply put it in your gas tank (preferably lower less than a half tank of gas).

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
While it sat, was there coolant in the system, or did it sit dry? The water pump seals can give trouble if dry.

black90sport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It was driven probably 3-4 times a year while it was sitting so all fluids were full and checked and it did move around just probably less than 100 miles a year for the better part of 7 or 8 years.