Milwaukee m18/m12 tools

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would like this thread to be a discussion about the m18/m12 fuel or brushless tools. flash lights, batteries, gadgets etc. what you have, like or dislike or what you would like to buy next

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a wide array of Milwaukee…

1/4 brushless impact m18
3/8 fuel impact m18
1/2 fuel impact m18
3/4 fuel impact m18
1/2 brushless drill m18
4.5in brushless grinder m18
Sawzall brushless m18
M18 power take off
M18 radio
Head lamp

An assortment of battery’s.

These tools haven’t been babied at all. Everything thing from overheated to dropped, rained, used as hammers lol. These tools get used daily and most are 3-4 years old at this point, look like crap and never have had a protective boot.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've collected several M12 and M18 tools over the past couple years. They aren't cheap, but I wait for the deals at Home Depot and typically get them 30-40% off with extra batteries. All of them have been excellent, my biggest disappointment so far has been the die grinder simply because it can eat a 2.0 battery in 10 minutes so if you're doing a lot of work, you've gotta have multiple batteries in rotation. I started with a packout case / impact driver holiday combo and bought a kaizen foam insert to make this hot roddin to go kit:

You must be registered for see images attach

I'm kinda looking at that new extended reach high speed M12 ratchet. Dudes have been saying they're pretty great.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Very cool!!! Nice kit

The m12 stuff is awesome too, we use a buddys die grinder at work but his shuts off if it gets in a bind. Does yours?

Last edited:

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I've hit the safety shutoff a few times when I was jammin a wire wheel around rusty sheet metal. I've heard that they're better about powering through if you have the 6.0 M12 batteries, but mostly I don't have a problem with it as I'm just deburring cut metal and cleaning up rusty problems in hard to reach places. I think Milwaukee probably erred too far on the side of caution with the safety shutoff on that tool in particular, but then again die grinders are supposed to be about using speed, not power to do the job.

One thing I don't like about Milwaukee, and this isn't exclusive to them but it's annoying, is that there can be 2-4 different models of the same tool that are visually very similar, but the cheap ones are brushed tools with less features and they seem to sell the last generation models side by side with the newer ones. For that reason I typically try to get the FUEL brushless versions wherever possible, and I always have to research the model number to make sure I'm getting the latest Gen 3 or Gen 4 or whatever model and I'm not losing out on features or power because I didn't know better.

toolguyd.com is a great resource for catching the deals and staying up to date with new releases.

Also, for everybody with a drill and/or impact driver, do yourself a favor and pick up a brush and polish kit like this one:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

There's tons of different packs with various items similar to that on amazon, but that's the one I picked and I use the brushes all the time. The little polishing pads have also been great for working scratches out of paint or small detail areas that a normal car polisher can't fit in.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Some of the newer 1/2 fuel impacts aren’t holding up well, some are breaking right out of the box. I agree on getting fuel on the impacts.
That was a messed up situation but as far as I have heard they are back to the previous proven design and are offering a full replacement warranty on that short run of duds

Here is a video about it:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I'm a Milwaukee fan and have too many to list between work and home, I have also found the its worth it to buy only the FUEL versions. The non-FUEL are ok but they are just a home-gamer version of the higher quality FUELs and the performance shows.

The Impact Driver is a perfect example. Both look very similar besides the bumper badge and sound similar when working but the non-FUEL struggles with anything more than large deck screws but the FUEL version can easily run the largest lag bolts and take the place of a compact impact in the tool chest. Essentially 2-tools in 1

Also I found some of the M12 stuff is over rated or under-whelming and others are light-years above competition. The comment above about doing research first really needs to be done for every M12 purchase! I haven't had the same problem with M18 yet, anything FUEL is worth it there.

I still haven't tried the new M12 High-Output batteries on the under-whelming tools yet but maybe that will help? There's noticable difference between the M18 HO and XC batteries on the higher demand tools.

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I picked up a Metabo 1/2 drive impact wrench, cordless, and the battery and a charger, all for $64.95 with tax. Lowe's apparently is not carrying them anymore so they had them on clearance. I know this brand makes very good woodworking tools, so I'm optimistic about this tool. Haven't used it yet on the truck, but the battery does charge in 30 minutes as advertised. If I end up pulling the grille to install the driving lights and replace the washer bottle on Rawhide, I'll be using it for the bolts on the brush guard. It'll be nice to have on yard trips too.
I was seriously looking at the Milwaukee and other name brand tools, but new ones are running around $200-300 here, depending on what you get. So to get a tool and its accessories that would've sold for $200 or more, for $60 plus tax, I couldn't pass that up.....

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is one that I’ve been sitting on the fence with for a while as a “might be nice to have” maybe.

You must be registered for see images attach