Under hood tool tray mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, I thought I’d share a small little mod I did recently. Basically, I removed the under hood storage box and made a tool tray to put in its place. I mainly did this because having a bigger spot to set my tools/bolts/etc while working is more useful than having a storage box, for me personally. And since it eliminates the factory storage box, it makes the engine bay look a little less busy. This mod may be useless or really helpful depending on what you want. Or even for the 88-95 boys who don’t have a storage box to begin with and want something to put in that empty space (not sure if the dimensions would be the same). Either way here’s a write up for how I did it.

I cut a 10.25” x 7.25” plastic panel, and made triangle cuts to clear the washer fluid neck.
You must be registered for see images attach

Then I cut 1” tall pieces to go on each side for the “walls”.

Next I drilled a hole in the factory location so it could bolt in where the stock box used to be.
The biggest step is using a soldering iron to weld the plastic together.

I put a washer between the tray and the inner fender, and bolted it in. Almost looks factory! Any questions or thoughts are welcome.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
that is cool and looks very use full almost looks factory to me more use full then the storage box but I think I would pick the second battery tray more although with an abs delete booth could be had build some sort of tray where the abs module lives

The Beast OBS

Reaction score
Hey guys, I thought I’d share a small little mod I did recently. Basically, I removed the under hood storage box and made a tool tray to put in its place. I mainly did this because having a bigger spot to set my tools/bolts/etc while working is more useful than having a storage box, for me personally. And since it eliminates the factory storage box, it makes the engine bay look a little less busy. This mod may be useless or really helpful depending on what you want. Or even for the 88-95 boys who don’t have a storage box to begin with and want something to put in that empty space (not sure if the dimensions would be the same). Either way here’s a write up for how I did it.

I cut a 10.25” x 7.25” plastic panel, and made triangle cuts to clear the washer fluid neck.

Then I cut 1” tall pieces to go on each side for the “walls”.

Next I drilled a hole in the factory location so it could bolt in where the stock box used to be.
The biggest step is using a soldering iron to weld the plastic together.

I put a washer between the tray and the inner fender, and bolted it in. Almost looks factory! Any questions or thoughts are welcome.
Now tell me how to put theses dam 4x6 headlights on my 88 c1500 I have 4 demon eye led lights

Jeepwalker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OP, are you going to fab up or set a regular tool box in that location?

Kind of like John Deere tractors have a removable tool box that can go on the side?

Anyway, great idea. Thanks for sharing. I can see how that would be real helpful place to put a tool box. :waytogo:

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OP, are you going to fab up or set a regular tool box in that location?

Kind of like John Deere tractors have a removable tool box that can go on the side?

Anyway, great idea. Thanks for sharing. I can see how that would be real helpful place to put a tool box. :waytogo:
I don’t think I’d make a custom tool box since I still have the stock one. I’ll probably never make up my mind if I like the custom tray and the stock box better, so I’ll probably keep swapping them out whenever I get bored lol, I like them both.