Miles per gallon.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The whole idea of hte metric system when you get passed the simpler logical groupings in base 10 conversions, is that we are doing a great deal we can to make the literal unit itself as objectively a " " as possible. Like a meter being light traveling in a vacuum or something that like that. more precise examples of our instruments , more precise our products, more tolerances we make perfect, the more performance and reliability we make things. Construction in the US is painfully going to be SAE for a while, but they usually put what it is in metric with stuff and you can take advantage of using those things to build a new mental schema that can understand the metric parts based on how it stacks to SAE. its not the most efficient way of learning buut if you are going to refuse to get with metric so far you would add steps to every drawing which is actually asking for errors, since you are going througgh and flipping units for no reason to a system only you are using. Basically, murphys law, plus some human error, plus some probability.

You arent likely to make a small error which could result in somthign being done if you arent interacting with all measurements in a specically "Lets change this" attitude.

all I want tho is an end to world standards being metric conversions of sae like an oil barrel, 55 gallons or close, well the metric equivalent is not.. smart.

Also in metric places with plumbing , i hear, they use vague aproximations of thgings in cm that dont correspond well tothe actual SAE stuff, but they confuse when they convert to metric So everyone has a "knowledge" that these numbers in metric for plumbing are arbitrary and they just have to kinda know what does what. thats worse than just SAE !

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know a "rocket scientist" that was involved in the Mars orbiter that...ummm...failed to orbit.

Most of the Mars Orbiter work was done by NASA in Metric units. Some work was done by a subcontractor in "English" units. Guess NASA forgot to convert when they were choosing the altitude for the rockets to fire. But then, that's so "Last Century". NASA has plenty to do "this century", what with blatantly tampering with raw Climate data here on Earth so that it fits the politically-correct storyline.

For the record, a "drum" of oil is 55 gallons. That's what you'd buy from the refinery as Havoline, or Rotella, or Valvoline, or whatever product ready to pump into engine crankcases.

By comparison, a "barrel" of oil is about 42 gallons, and that's a unit of measure for crude oil that you'd buy from the Saudis, or the Okees, or the NoDaks; except nobody buys "a" barrel of crude, they buy thousands of barrels of crude shipped on an ocean-going tanker or from a pipeline.

I remember hearing about a guy--maybe on this forum--who, living in Europe/England, was searching for a particular Metric tool. He was supposedly having trouble finding a 9.5mm socket to suit his Chevy. I got the joke, I'm not sure everyone did.

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those interested:

F4U-1A

G-Damn Blackfly season worst in 20yrs F!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those interested:
Just went there, Caman. (Wild). And that remines me, was searching for my Applied Mathematics text book from College. My dad has it, at the retirement home. He wanted to brush up on his Calculus. WHY??? Trying to keep that 89yr old brain sharp.