Metal bending help/advice PLEASE!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the advise, I'll let you guys know how it goes in the next few days. If i fail, its off to a frame shop.

This...
I have been where you are before. We straightened out the same area in way or so we thought. The truck wouldn't align right afterwards. We got everything close as we could with a tape and square. We were still way off. Ended up going to a body shop with a frame rack. They pulled and the frame fractured. Threw in the towel and scrapped it. At the very least go have them check how far it is. Chances are its worse than the eyeballs show. There is always option of frame swap.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I work with metal for a living and I'm telling you I wouldn't even attempt it with the proper tools much less jacks and torches. Throwing heat on it can cause all kinds of issues and wouldn't be a wise way to go IMO it would be way better to be cold formed back.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is what we are trying to politely get across. If you "fail" you won't be off to the frame shop, you'll be off to the junkyard for a frame or to scrap it.

Or you may very well be off to the hospital when you get hit in the head with a flying jack or after the frame fails when you are driving it.

In all seriousness: this is not a place to "shadetree" it. You need to fix it properly.....or have someone fix it properly for you.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
why don't you put the truck on a flat bed and towed to a frame shop... id rather spend the bit of money for a tow and a place to do it right... would suck driving down the road and hit a pot hole, and the frame snaps or bends back and you crash...

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya heat is not the answer for that. A frame shop is the best answer. They can cold pull that back into place without weakening the metal.

If you really want to save your truck an have it be safe you need to spend a few bucks here an get it done correctly.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly man. I dont know if this would work, but my friend's car jack in his trunk appears to be small enough to wedge into there. Ask some friends with sedan's or cars if you can see their jack, and see if it will fit between there. I think that would be a good start. if worse comes to worse you might have to find a scrap frame section and weld it on

An if you're dead set on trying this yourself don't use that style jack. They are barely adequate to change a tire, much less try an do something like this. You're just asking for the jack to fail or come flying out, causing more damage to the truck or possibly you.

If you watch power block you should know they didn't even mess with trying to straighten a frame on trucks, they took it to a proper shop with the proper equipment even though Kevin had the experience an knowledge to fix the frame. He didn't (at that time anyway) have the proper tools for the job. Later they got a small mobile frame puller an he used that on the show, without heat being involved.

Sorry I'll stop ranting an get off the soapbox now.....

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Hey ya'll, watch this.
Just remember, no self-respecting redneck would EVER say, "here, hold my beer" - you do it with the beer in your hand even if it's something that otherwise requires two hands. One hand is always available for the beer.

Richard