AC issue, loud metallic smashing.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hi54lofi

Reaction score
Hello all, I recently replaced my AC compressor as mine made this metallic smashing like the clutch was jammed, when turned on the idle goes up and down rpms like it's losing power like it's struggle under load. Clearly something was wrong, I figured it was the compressor. Bought a used one on eBay (I know....) SAME noise. Very strange bc I would THINK the only thing that it COULD be is the compressor itself. Is there anything else that could be wrong? Some sort of engager not working properly? I'm thinking I just got one just as broke as mine. Thinking about getting a new, non ebay one... Any help would be much appreciated

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We need to know what you got. Twenty feet away they all look the same. Open the doors and hood there all different.
Make, model , year, at least. What your problem, what did you do that did or didn't fix it.

name

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have one of them " pancake compressors " they are prone to make noise, Mine makes a hell of a racket ( kinda like a hammering / crackling sound ) when the clutch is engaged. At first I just replaced the clutch But it made no difference, so I put on a brand new one from 4 seasons and it made the same noise. It works good so I just leave it on, I don't know how long the old one was on it but I got over 50k miles on the new one.

When I did a search into this a while back I found that some were converting their compressors over to the newer style ( denslo I think , that come on the late 90's trucks ) because they are quieter and put less of a load on the engine. I guess it all depends on just how much work you want to do ...

Here is what mine looks like :

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 5

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You may have a problem in the rest of the system. Blockage in lines, crud in the condenser, clogged orifice.....? If you replace a compressor, you should at least replace the orifice and the accumulator. Did the system pull vacuum ok? You did not say. Like @Schurkey was alluding to, you don't just swap out compressors and plug them in and they work. Plus, a used compressor? Really? The one you had on there was a used one.....

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are , " Denso " Japan huge parts manufacturer. And " Delphi " , supplied many GM OE parts. What's that?
You must be registered for see images attach