Fuel leak after replacing injectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigblockburb

Reaction score
I have a 1997 GMC Suburban 2500 with the 454 L29 motor. Its a strong engine but way more of a b*tch to work on than the 5.7 ‍

I replaced the fuel injectors with the supposedly upgraded bosch injectors (stock ones had 8 holes, these ones have 4 holes??) I bought a refurbished set of 8 from ebay, and right away I noticed a split gap in one of the upper rings that go into the fuel rail, but i thought no big deal, its still got an o-ring below to seal it.

Put the fuel rail and injector+pressure regulator assembly back together and installed it,and jumped the fuel relay to test for leaks, no leaks from injectors or fuel rail. I started it up after reassembly (after fixing a disconnected ignition module couple crossed plug wires) and it ran strong and smooth and seemed to have fixed my stumbling, misfiring engine.

I didn’t notice til the next morning that there is a fuel leak, but only when it starts up, and then it stops or at least slows down when running. When i turn the key on and prime the pump is when it leaks most.

To me it can only mean either a leaking fuel line that I didn’t tighten all the way, leaking injector fittings that go into the rail, or a leaking pressure regulator, which i replaced brand new from ACDelco, but I would like another opinion on what seems most likely to be happening here.

Last edited:

bigblockburb

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is the split that Im talking about, thats the end that goes into the fuel rail. It was the only one like this and I put it up front so that it’s visible from the outside. But it doesn’t seem to leak. Could it still cause problems?

bigblockburb

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is a picture of the fuel lines, they are a huge pain in the ass to reach with the whole manifold installed so I can’t very easily test to see if its loose and it’s basically impossible to see without a endoscope. Does the back one look loose? Its not sunk as deep in as the top one judging by the thread count

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're going to have to get closer to pinpointing the leak to know for sure.

If you can't get a visual, put a glove on, prime the rail, and start feeling it up until you have a wet finger.