Mechanical (double pumper) vs vacuum secondaries

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Travis

Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of research lately, and it still seems to be a toss up if vacuum secondaries give you better gas mileage than a double pumper with mechanical secondaries. My engine is out of a 2000 Tahoe z71- sbc 5.7 350. It is carb'd. Bored .30 over, SRP Pistons, Pink Rods with Arp Bots, AFR heads 195, Comp 1.6 Roller, Comp xp282hr cam, Victor Jr. Intake, 10.1 compression ratio, 230-236 @ .050 lift, 510 intake, 520 exhuast, 110 LSA, 3200 stall, 4.11 Gears, 1 3/4 headers, and a mad dog level 4 trans.

I'm getting around 8mpg with a barry grant 750cfm double pumper racing carb. While it is extremely fun, I spin the tires at anything over half throttle. I bought an edelbrock 1406 600cfm carb with vacuum secondaries to test out. For one, it doesn't start up and stay running as well as it does with the barry grant and I could not spin the tires unless I the pedal was to the floor. However, the gas mileage did seem to be on my side with this carb installed. I don't want to crack open the edelbrock tuning kit I bought if it is going to be a waste of time, because I can return it if it is unopened. If money were not an option, I would try a holley 750 with vacuum secondaries, but I am not made of money, hence my question.

600cfm is probably not enough with this highly modified engine. I have been told double pumpers are not the best for street vehicles since their performance gain is only best known at WOT. On the same note, I was told MPG will not be affected regardless of the carb, but rather how I choose to operate the pedal. Should I shell out the money and try a larger vacuum secondary or am I stuck at this MPG despite what kind of carb I choose to go with? Because if the latter is the case, there would be no reason to switch.

Thanks,
Travis

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Don't know if I can help with the other stuff, but I was taught...
Mechanical = stick shift.
Vacuum = auto. (unless it's really radical. i.e., high lift/short duration cam, steep gears, with a high stall T.C.)

Massey

Reaction score
I'm a fan of the edelbrock carbs but the 1406 is too small for your engine. It also is not a vacuum secondary, it is mechanical with an air flow valve that upends up some jets inside based on the amount of air entering the secondaries. This system helps save fuel when running wide throttle and low load where the secondaries are not doing all that much.

I believe the Edelbrock 1407/8 (one manual choke the other is electric but I can't remember which is which) will feed your engine just fine. They are 750cfm like the Holley but without the same Holley issues. I have always heard about Holley carbs is they are great for the track and horrible on the street.

Massey