Magnaflow exhaust question pn#15750

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bikersam43

Reaction score
Hello everyone I'm am looking at buying the magna flow cat back dual exhaust for my 96 k1500 reg. cab short bed but on magnaflows website they only list this exhaust kit to fit an extended cab anyone here install this before ? I'm not afriad to modify if I have to just wondered what would need to be done thanks Sam

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Most likely it is because of the length will put the muffler jus under the cab of the truck, and if there is an exhaust leak there, it could get into the cab causing carbon monoxide poisoning. If the muffler is welded into place on the exhaust pipe, this shouldn't be an issue, as long as the exhaust pipe is in good shape. Unless there is a heat issue, that a heat shield should fix, I could not see any other reason why the muffler wouldn't fit.

Bikersam43

Reaction score
I thought maybe the tailpipes would be longer on an extended cab - because everything on a regular cab is that much father ahead

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My 1997 truck is a short bed extended cab, and the bed is the same bed that would be on a regular cab, short wheel base. The tail pipes are the same. I have old school glass packs on mine. They are 24 inch long, and there is a lot of space from the front of the axel to where the cab and bed meet. My mufflers are still under the bed, and not under the cab. I would think , any custom muffler shop could install a Magna flow in your truck. If I the muffler is put closer to the axel, I see no reason why a long muffler won't fit.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I believe he's asking about the fitment of one specific cat-back kit including all the pipe, not just mufflers. I'm not sure what exactly the difference is but I just looked up a few kits from different companies and all of them I can find are marked specifically according to cab and bed length. I'm sure if the Magnaflow kit is marked for an extended cab then you'd have to modify something, not sure what exactly. My guess would be a different length of pipe between the flange where you bolt to the y-pipe/cats and the mufflers.

Bikersam43

Reaction score
I believe he's asking about the fitment of one specific cat-back kit including all the pipe, not just mufflers. I'm not sure what exactly the difference is but I just looked up a few kits from different companies and all of them I can find are marked specifically according to cab and bed length. I'm sure if the Magnaflow kit is marked for an extended cab then you'd have to modify something, not sure what exactly. My guess would be a different length of pipe between the flange where you bolt to the y-pipe/cats and the mufflers.

That's what I was getting at basically I'm just asking if anyone else tried to put that setup on their regular cab truck

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for jumping in df2x4, I see what y'all a saying. I would think that the distance between the cat, and muffler could be shortened to fit a regular cab. It should be just a matter of measuring the amount of space you have to work with, and then get a measurement of the cat back system, to see if the section of pipe between the muffler and cat can be cropped out to fit the space you have. If you are not able to weld stainless, as I said before, a custom muffler shop can help with this. I have customized my exhaust system myself on my truck, but as I said before, mine is an extended cab. I guess because I an a welder, I think to myself, that it is pipe, so I know that I can customize it to fit. Anyway, I just wanted to help.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Totally understandable. :) If you're going to go to the trouble to have stainless welded though, IMHO you might as well just have the exhaust shop build you a whole custom cat-back and pick your muffler/s. No point in spending over $500 for a nice pre-made kit just to hack it up. As another alternative if you want something you can install yourself with no welding or modification required, there's quite a few kits available for your application. Just none of them Magnaflow.