Mad Customs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
may I suggest you check your battery to block ground and battery to frame ground. both are super important!

Yeah, I used the existing cable and maybe should have used a longer one that goes closer to the starter. If you are looking at the block from the side the ground is high and to the right and the starter is low to the left. I have the frame ground strap connected to the same bolt.

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I used the existing cable and maybe should have used a longer one that goes closer to the starter. If you are looking at the block from the side the ground is high and to the right and the starter is low to the left. I have the frame ground strap connected to the same bolt.
The only thing I can think is that starter solenoid has a problem.....

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I was working on a 1956 case tractor. LOL much slower than this sucker, and much simplier. I redid all of the wiring and went from a tractor that would start to the same symptoms you have there, just a thump from the solenoid and a pretty dang weak one that used to be strong.

ya I was pulling my hair out.

it turned out to be just a bad ground as the solenoid was not grounding to its mount. I did not touch the solenoid yet it lost its chassis ground connection. I took the solenoid off and cleaned all of the rust off of it and the chassis mount and put it back together and it fired right up.

good luck man!

Last edited:

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only thing I can think is that starter solenoid has a problem.....

Found it. The + battery terminal bolt was fully tightened but the starter cable was just very slightly loose. You couldn't just move it without a bit of force, but you could if you tried. Put a washer on the bolt and now it turns over. LOL.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next challenge: the fuel pump turns on but 0 pressure at the rails. It's not leaking anywhere, and it's got almost a full tank.

I'm using the stock lines with AN adapters to 2 short AN lines to the supply and return on the rails.

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found it. The + battery terminal bolt was fully tightened but the starter cable was just very slightly loose. You couldn't just move it without a bit of force, but you could if you tried. Put a washer on the bolt and now it turns over. LOL.
Always love it when it turns out fairly simple!

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next challenge: the fuel pump turns on but 0 pressure at the rails. It's not leaking anywhere, and it's got almost a full tank.

I'm using the stock lines with AN adapters to 2 short AN lines to the supply and return on the rails.
Is the pump staying on long enough to prime the rails?

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the pump staying on long enough to prime the rails?

It stays on for like 3 seconds. I can't hear it when we crank the engine and I don't smell fuel out the pipes. (There's no fuel smell at all.) I'm wondering if the injectors aren't opening and it's just a lot of air in the lines that can't get out.

The kid is just really jonesing to hear it start. I might squirt a touch of starting fluid in the intake to get it to pop off. So we can get that out of the way. Although maybe the coils aren't going either, LOL.