Ls1 Spun bearing.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1998 LS1 Shortblock. Had spun rod bearings, 144k miles on it, needs to be rebuilt. SHORTBLOCK ONLY

what do you guys think about picking this up for a new project?

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Two options:

Run away, fast. Acquire a COMPLETE LQ4/LQ9 6L that makes more hp/tq in stock form than that LS1 and is CHEAPER

OR

Buy it, sell it to some idiot who thinks "z0mg LS1 can haz aluminum block to save 40lbs in mah 5700lb truck" and use the cash to buy a low mile LQ4/LQ9 plus a mild cam and converter.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Short block only? Not much to use then. Unless its a hundred bucks I wouldn't buy it. I was assuming in your other thread that it was complete. If you don't get the heads, intake, oil system or any accessories then it isn't worth much.

ls6firebird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what are your hp goals? are you going to be on much of a budget or are you ok with spending more money? obviously, the 6.0 will have more potential, and can still be built on a decent budget. but dont be to quick to write off the ls1. just being the shortblock isnt a bad thing. you can pick up 243 heads for around 400-450 and an ls6 intake for i believe around 250-300 (correct me if im wrong). you can find all sorts of deals on rotating assemblies

ls6firebird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
also, dont feel like you have to jump on this one right away to get a good deal on an lsx. ive seen plenty of ls1 shortblocks sell for 200 and even less. 5.3's are also very cheap. 6.0s can be found very reasonable for what they are too

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
what are your hp goals? are you going to be on much of a budget or are you ok with spending more money? obviously, the 6.0 will have more potential, and can still be built on a decent budget. but dont be to quick to write off the ls1. just being the shortblock isnt a bad thing. you can pick up 243 heads for around 400-450 and an ls6 intake for i believe around 250-300 (correct me if im wrong). you can find all sorts of deals on rotating assemblies

That's nuts. You can buy an iron block 5.3L or 6L all day long complete with accessories and harness for less than $700.

ls6firebird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's nuts. You can buy an iron block 5.3L or 6L all day long complete with accessories and harness for less than $700.

yea but if i bought a 6.0 i would personally still run 243 heads. thats why i asked him about his budget. if he wants something stock, yea a 5.3 or 6.0 will be the way to go so he can just drop it in. he could put the ls1 back a lot cheaper than what i suggested. stock 241 ls1 heads and intake manifold can be picked up for next to nothing. i gave away a set of 241 heads because nobody wanted them

chen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I work at a Chevy dealership so I get parts cheap, also I have a neighbor upgrading his bumblebee, he have me his intake and cam. budget wise as long as I dont order parts more than my check is I'll be fine.