Ls swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello quick question I’m doing a 5.3l swap on my 97 obs im wanting to know if I can use the factory pcm to control the transmission and use the new pcm for the motor is this possible I got a ls stand alone harness but it’s not shifting out of 2nd gear when I hook up the old wires from the original truck harness it shifts but will not go into overdrive help please.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
which transmission ? I would fix the wiring and program to work correctly with the new ecm

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What are the details on new harness and ecu? Is it set up for 4l60e?

Reaction score
Yes it is and it has the cats delete and all that I think it might be going in to limp mode so I am going to try and reset it but I don’t have the oil pressure hooked up to the new harness it has the old one plugged into it so the gauge would work I went and got a after market gauge to install so I can use the new harness plug on the gauge I was going to put a tee in so I can run the after market gauge and the other one for the computer at the same time not sure if that will work and I am going to try and reset the trans control with the steps of the gas peddle and turning the ignition on.

Reaction score
I bought the truck with the swap started but it’s not shifting correctly but I have done some more research on the wiring and at first I thought the transmission was just bad so I was asking about the pcms because i wasn’t sure if it was possible so now I’m going to rewrite the transmission harness to the new pcm and see if that takes care of it

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With so many unknowns, start with verification on wiring, then ecm. Oil pressure wiring is not necessary to go to ecm

Reaction score
Ok so should I hook up the transmission to the ls harness it has it just not hooked up thanks for the help.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would need to start with a pinout for your ecm, then trace wires for the transmission. And/or verify ecm is programmed correctly