Ls swap block trouble?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

williscr3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
recently obtained a 99 5.3 for my 96 k1500. Purchased cam for it and upon install noticed oil pump housing is coated in black soot, removed valve covers and looks like same thing on drivers side rockers and springs, almost burnt like appearance. Passenger side not bad. Also noticed oil in the intake. Checked PCV and it moves freely, passage seems to be clear. Should I continue and run the block or toss it and find another? Could this be indication of high mileage motor? Actual miles are unknown. Thanks

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Does the Engine have good compression? Have you checked the rod and main bearing clearances? Is there water in the oil? Oil in the Radiator? Scrapping an Engine based on appearances can get expense fast.

Last edited:

williscr3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The motor is still on stand, so I was only able to check compression by hand. I could only get 30ish psi from all 8 cylinders. They drained the oil before they gave it to me, so no knowledge of that or oil in antifreeze. I pulled the pan and checked bearings for play. There was no play but same burnt smell and coating on everything. Cam bearings had some wear marks on them. There was some heavy sludge in oil pan though. I gave up on the motor.
Picked up another one yesterday that looks like it's in way better shape. Doesn't have sludge in oil pan, or burnt coating on everything. No oil in intake either. Hoping to get cam swapped into it today and place it in truck. Thanks for the assistance.

williscr3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i later removed the pan and discovered a thick layer of sludge. i still have the motor but ended up putting a different one in my truck. im almost done with swap.