LS swap 4l60

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gus K

Reaction score
I have a busted 350 in my 1992 K1500 scsb. I have acquired a 2004 5.3 with transmission, ECU and harness for the LS swap.

My current 92’s transmission has probably 50-60k miles on it.

I was told the transmission on my donor was troubled. I do not know what it needs yet.

So my thoughts is can I use the 4L60 to run the 5.3? Is it better to use the 4L60e, just have it rebuilt?

My end goal is to have this thing pretty stock to make it very drivable, so I’d like to keep it straight forward.

Thanks!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mechanically, it would run just fine so long as you adjust the TV cable properly. If you don't adjust the TV cable, you'll burn the 4L60 up quickly.

As far as the engine management, you may have to reflash it with a manual transmission tune. I know very little on that front.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You'll need a standalone transmission controller I think to run your 4L60 non-E. I think those are pretty spendy. And you need some adapter to hook up to the 5.3. I can't remember what that it at the moment, maybe a different flex plate with different converter bolt spacing?

I would fix the 4L60e that came with the unit. They made some improvements to those units around 1998-1999 that is supposed to hold up a bit more power.

Also, there's a lot more E models out there, so maybe parts are easier to find?

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need a spacer for the 5.3 flex plate and have to elongate the torque converter bolt holes and an early 6.0 LS starter.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this if I choose to keep my transmission ? The 4L60?

Yeah. It'll bolt up to the 5.3 but you'll have a big gap from the flex plate to the torque converter, that's why you need a spacer or a flex plate from an early 6.0. But then you've moved the flex plate back so the 5.3 starter you have now is too short.

haroldwca

Reaction score
You'll need a standalone transmission controller I think to run your 4L60 non-E. I think those are pretty spendy.
A 4L60 non-E doesn't use a transmission controller. (The 4L60 in non-electronic configuration and a 700R4 are the same thing. GM updated its part number from the old TH designation to the current alpha numeric format early in the GMT 400 production.) A 4L60 non-E does employ a controller for the torque converter control (TCC) solenoid. Stand alone controllers for the TCC solendoid are available from well-known sources for $200-400. This may be what stutaeng was referring to.

The other aspect of your swap is the throttle valve (TV) cable. The 4L60 is already in your truck, isn't it? If so, the TV cable is already there, but you will need to attach it somehow to the 5.3. That concept is currently above my pay grade, but I'll be willing to guess that there are people on this forum who have done it. Anyone?