Lower control arm identification, BALL JOINT TYPE HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlastiKTuneR

Reaction score
I have a 1998 Chevrolet suburban, 5.7 v8, 4X4.

i new new lower ball joints, and im doing them myself.

I know there are two types of Lower control arms, im just not sure what ones i have so i dont know what ball jont to buy..

Pressed in or Bolt on? If you know can you provide a link to it in autozone.com?

Thanks alot.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
go out and look, best way to tell, if you see or feel rivets or bolts then it's bolt in, if not it's press in, simple as that.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you are gonna HAVE to look and look throughly to be sure. If there's no rivets or bolts, make sure and clean the area around them good, wire brush etc. and then check it, if none you got press in, gotta be sure, hate to see ya buy or order the wrong ones.

go to rockauto.com and enter your year make and model and see if it comes up with both or only one style that could help too.

bowtie-till-i-die

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have replaced al my ball joints several times and the bottoms are always press in and the tops had rivets but the aftermarket ones bolt in.

PlastiKTuneR

Reaction score
Ok. I think its press in but ill hit it with a wire brush, and see if I can find any rivets.

Thanks again.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well the newer years may be, but my 88 in my sig has bolt in lowers I just ordered them. I had heard from factory they are riveted just like the uppers, IF they are bolt in types and if there is bolts, they have been changed before. That's an old general rule of thumb.

jrp12357

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well the newer years may be, but my 88 in my sig has bolt in lowers I just ordered them. I had heard from factory they are riveted just like the uppers, IF they are bolt in types and if there is bolts, they have been changed before. That's an old general rule of thumb.

Unless you get a truck that has 2 different lower control arms with 2 different types of ball joints like mine lol. I have pressin on driver side lower and bolt in type on passenger side.