Low buck TBI truck Cams

Cam Choice

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I used an enginetech that is ground by Elgin at 204/214 @ .050 but the LSA is only 107 so vaccum stays up. Added a bit of torque and throttle response but not aggressive. The TBI is a little confused when it's really cold outside and bumps the idle up and down but it's fine once warm.

Sounds like the Edelbrock Performer I had in my 289 years ago. Multiple companies slapped their name on that cam.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
mellings cam. lots of folks still copy mellings.

thats the brand of cam I have in my 94, mixed with vortec heads and corresponding parts to make it all happy, good lord it’s a torque monster. It’s not choppy, but slightly noticeable if you’re listening closely. I have the MTC-1 cam offered by them.

vr1967

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was going to make a suggestion, but said only Comp, so that counts me out.

I’ll recommend anything BUT Comp Cams.

Back in the 90s their BBC cams were ground on bad (soft) cores. Several of us wiped lobes on break in. (I wiped 6 on one cam)

A buddy tried 3 comp ones in the same engine.

Every time we’d call it was our fault, Comp would say it was improper break in, installed wrong, etc etc. funny we all tried other manufacturers cams and we never wiped another lobe.

Blanco_obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So that video that you posted I talked to the guy. He got it off summit racing and even posted the link. But tbh I have a 350 tbi and still dk what to do. I want a choppy idle don’t really care for going fast. But I also have a 5.3l I just dk what the best route is !!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So that video that you posted I talked to the guy. He got it off summit racing and even posted the link. But tbh I have a 350 tbi and still dk what to do. I want a choppy idle don’t really care for going fast. But I also have a 5.3l I just dk what the best route is !!

You want a choppy idle but don't wanna go fast? Lean out your idle AFRs and call it a day.