Loud Whine from Transmission Today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Plenty of guys running around with junkyard units with unknown mileage.

Hey, that's me! :lol:

The junkyard 4L80E I swapped into my red truck came out of a 300K+ mile '97 C3500, I found it in a local salvage yard via car-part.com for $500. Around four years later it's still working great. Personally I would not be too afraid of a junkyard trans in this situation.

cc333

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK, that's good to know. The cost of labor to actually install the thing is a different matter, however.

Oh well, I guess I'll sleep on it and see how I feel tomorrow.

c

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The cost of labor to actually install the thing is a different matter, however.

Considering you already have a 4L80E in your truck I wouldn't think it would be too bad. Basically a few hours of shop labor and the cost of fluids.

cc333

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK.

I found a shop that'll take it today (can't look at it until Monday, of course), and he seemed to think it'll need a new transmission, but he hoped maybe all it needs is new fluid and filter. Won't know more until he takes a look.

I asked if I could bring him a junkyard transmission, and he said he won't do that, because there's no way to guarantee with 100% certainty that it won't die right away.

Anyway, looks like I'll be paying big money *sigh*

c

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK.

I found a shop that'll take it today (can't look at it until Monday, of course), and he seemed to think it'll need a new transmission, but he hoped maybe all it needs is new fluid and filter. Won't know more until he takes a look.

I asked if I could bring him a junkyard transmission, and he said he won't do that, because there's no way to guarantee with 100% certainty that it won't die right away.

Anyway, looks like I'll be paying big money *sigh*

c
That's why the junkyard has a warranty, THEY LITERALLY GUARANTEE IT WONT DIE RIGHT AWAY, stay away from that shop he just wants $3k for a rebuild. Any trans shop can rebuild it for $3k so if that's the offer he makes you, run.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rebuilding my 700 in an '88 K1500 cost $2800. That included geartrain parts a 4L80E almost certainly wouldn't need, and it includes parts, labor, R&R, flushing the cooler, adding a ground strap, fluid, and a rebuilt torque converter.

A "used" transmission with a "warranty" probably does not cover labor to remove and replace the defective "used" transmission, nor would it cover fluid and filter kit needed for the second replacement transmission. If I were a professional trans shop, I wouldn't install a customer-supplied transmission either.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A "used" transmission with a "warranty" probably does not cover labor to remove and replace the defective "used" transmission, nor would it cover fluid and filter kit needed for the second replacement transmission.

As long as the customer understands this I don't see an issue. That's part of the gamble in using a junkyard trans. When I took mine to my mechanic for the swap it was understood that if something went wrong and it had to come out, I'd be paying all over again.

I get why most shops won't install customer supplied parts but in my experience the ones that will generally do the best work. Again just my experience, your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

bentwrenches

Reaction score
That's the thing. Up until literally this past March, we took it to a local mechanic who we thought was reputable, but as things like this kept happening, I began to doubt him, and after months of it basically not running well (hard starting, stalling, rough idle), I took it to a dealer in another town, and the mechanic there told me what was wrong with it (bad ignition coil+distributor, bad fuel injectors, bad radiator hoses, bad water pump... basically, everything that makes the engine run), I lost it, because the jerk mechanic kept telling me that he had fixed all these things (as I payed him probably $6-7k over the past 3-1/2 years), when, in fact, none of it was fixed at all, and I was driving a ticking time bomb! Needless to say, I'm no longer a customer of his.

So, it occurred to me today that something underhanded he did might've led to this, like maybe doing a half-baked job on the transmission cooler (which the dealer and I overlooked, since the transmission fluid looked good and it didn't show any signs of trouble). Is it possible the cooler got clogged, causing fluid to not flow properly?

So, basically, I bought the truck for $8,000 in 2017, put probably another $8k of work into it since then, and now I need a new transmission, so that's probably another $5,000 for a truck that's probably worth only that much at best.

c
Just throwing this out on the table for conversation, go easy on your mechanic cursing, remember new aftermarket parts are only new when in the box... once installed they are only as good as the Chinese metal they're cast from. If it's not genuine AC Delco, even that's questionable for our older vehicles, any time past 90 days is borrowed time imho. He may have been doing the best he could with what he had. Just saying Karma can be a busy ***** until you think she's not paying attention, that's when she gets you.
Unless the frame and body is rusted through these trucks are worth putting money into. I got a '97 dually, solid frame and body, needs a motor, transmission overhaul, and differential replaced. I got the 7.4 for replacement, my 4l80E will get a rebuild kit, the differential will get an Eaton posi unit. I'll prolly spend 8 to 10k and have the truck for the rest of my days. Versus spending 10k plus on some 15 year old Northeast pos 0r 80K for a new dually.
If were mine I'd get a solid 4L80E with a warranty, a new torque converter, the biggest transmission cooler with an electric fan that fits in front of the cooling stack.