Looking for someone to tune with EFILIVE, or any other way to tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oneluckypops

Reaction score
I am in the process of doing a repower, The truck is an 85 chevy K30, i know i know its not a GMT400 so why am i posting here? Well I am attempting to transplant a L31 from a 96 Suburban into the truck. I have also been learking here for awhile and this place really seems to have some highly skilled peeps.

The set up I am running is as follows:

Modified OEM wiring harness from a 96 K1500
OEM Black Box VCM (currently tuned for 3.42 gears with 245 75 16 tires)
96 5.7 vortec (bone stock except the K&N air filter assembly)
4L60E Transmission
Torque Converter is a V6 Converter
NP241C PS drop transfercase with speed sensor (91 Suburban)
Electronic Speedometer instrument panel (also from a 91 suburban)
Fuel system is an 87 tank/ 87 sending unit, with a stock OEM EP381 Pump
Truck has 4.10 gears in it With 265 75 16 tires.

Before anyone critizes me for the set up, there are a few reasons for me doing it this way. First and formost is I already Had the powertrain. Second Eventually I would like to do some mods to it, but wrather then spending the money on all the mods first I wanted to make sure I could even make it work. Then save some cash up and and do the following;

MPFI (Undecided on which way I want to go with it)
Individual coil packs (LS2)
Still researching a cam change Possably an LT4??
and of course a 411 PCM
then I would also like to build my own Harness from scratch.

The truck starts right up as it is, still dont have any O2 sensors hooked up, (need to weld the bungs in still) honestly it doest seem to run to bad, however it does seem to idle kind of Fast (900-1100), SES light flashes P0300 code. When I read the misfire data on my scanner it at first showed multiple misfires all over the motor, I replaced the Accell wires with some OEM's that I had and it cured alot of them, except, #1,2,3,4 2 and 4 have high misfire counts and 1 and 3 have slight misfires. I am pretty sure that the misfires are the Poppet injecters cause the engine has been sitting for about a year.

The other thing is when I drive the truck down the road it defintly has a hesitation to it, but if you go ahead and step on it a little further it will go ahead and take off, Does not seem to shift correctly either, not sure if its because the Calibration is way off, or the V6 converter or even BOTH. I went thru the Transmission before I put it in the truck. The reason i went thru it is because it was removed from my blazer which had the removable bell housing, and I wanted the 1 piece case so i swapped the guts to another case. So I really dont think theres anything wrong with the Trans.

Is there anyone that can help me with a tune, or point me in the right direction? I have tried searching and even tried contacting a few but cant get ahold of any and they havent reterned my e-mails either.

Thanks for the help fellers

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You'll have to do the 411 PCM swap if you want to tune with EFIlive. The 96-97' PCM does not support it. And support for it & tuning ability are very limited. Once you get the 411 swap done you'll have full tuning ability.

oneluckypops

Reaction score
You'll have to do the 411 PCM swap if you want to tune with EFIlive. The 96-97' PCM does not support it. And support for it & tuning ability are very limited. Once you get the 411 swap done you'll have full tuning ability.

Thanks...
Right now the 411 swap is out of the question, for right now I am just wanting to get the truck driveable with out the SES light. Where can i send the VCM to have the emmissions deleted, and the ratio tire size corrected?

After winter is over I plan to start on the Mods to it when I dont need the truck on the road.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Try these guys...

Professional tuning of your GM PCM, we have experience in ls series engines. cam cyl heads forced induction supercharged or turbo we can tune it, speed density or maf we can help. improve the power of your ride. also experienced with XFI FAST BIG STUFF 3 AEM and many many others. we can tune for stock drivability with our eddy current Dyno for Maxium street performance and fuel economy. we can provide help with emmisions tuning depending on your combo

Mail Order Tuning Available for mild ignition,headers, trans, Vats ,shift rpm ,gear ratio, afr, tourque management and many other enhancements. we specialize in custom tuning for Street rods and other engine swaps.

1-604-832-TUNE www.efituning.ca 1-604-832-TUNE www.efituning.ca

we have a Mustang 1100se eddy current chassis dyno capable of testing 2500hp, steady state dyno for excellent drivability 300-900hp. we are certified EFI UNIVERSITY graduates with proven track records. ACP CERTIFICATION and a professional approach

by appointment only, we are serious about performance and we are dedicated to drivablilty. NO TIME WASTERS PLEASE

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
part of your problems come from not having front O2 sensors. they help correct and control the fuel mixture, and unless you have a VERY good tune (like VERY VERY good, better than a mail order, or even in person tune), running without them you'll get fueling issues which can lead to all sorts of problems.

as was stated before, EFILive doesn't support the 96-97 PCMs, there are very few setups that do, however if you're just looking for a mail order tune to make some minor corrections, many of the major mail order tuners out there have the ability to change the '96-97 PCMs. you'll want to contact any of them and they can tell you for sure. be aware however, that most of your future mods will require the 411 PCM, so whaever money you spend on tuning the blackbox PCM won't be transferrable over to the 411 PCM when you do swap the PCMs....but on the other hand, take it from someone who has done pretty much everything you're thinking of, you'll need to be tuning that setup yourself, a mail order tune won't cut it.

oneluckypops

Reaction score
Try these guys...

Professional tuning of your GM PCM, we have experience in ls series engines. cam cyl heads forced induction supercharged or turbo we can tune it, speed density or maf we can help. improve the power of your ride. also experienced with XFI FAST BIG STUFF 3 AEM and many many others. we can tune for stock drivability with our eddy current Dyno for Maxium street performance and fuel economy. we can provide help with emmisions tuning depending on your combo

Mail Order Tuning Available for mild ignition,headers, trans, Vats ,shift rpm ,gear ratio, afr, tourque management and many other enhancements. we specialize in custom tuning for Street rods and other engine swaps.

1-604-832-TUNE www.efituning.ca 1-604-832-TUNE www.efituning.ca

we have a Mustang 1100se eddy current chassis dyno capable of testing 2500hp, steady state dyno for excellent drivability 300-900hp. we are certified EFI UNIVERSITY graduates with proven track records. ACP CERTIFICATION and a professional approach

by appointment only, we are serious about performance and we are dedicated to drivablilty. NO TIME WASTERS PLEASE
Thanks I will give them a call tommorow

part of your problems come from not having front O2 sensors. they help correct and control the fuel mixture, and unless you have a VERY good tune (like VERY VERY good, better than a mail order, or even in person tune), running without them you'll get fueling issues which can lead to all sorts of problems.

as was stated before, EFILive doesn't support the 96-97 PCMs, there are very few setups that do, however if you're just looking for a mail order tune to make some minor corrections, many of the major mail order tuners out there have the ability to change the '96-97 PCMs. you'll want to contact any of them and they can tell you for sure. be aware however, that most of your future mods will require the 411 PCM, so whaever money you spend on tuning the blackbox PCM won't be transferrable over to the 411 PCM when you do swap the PCMs....but on the other hand, take it from someone who has done pretty much everything you're thinking of, you'll need to be tuning that setup yourself, a mail order tune won't cut it.
I do plan on putting the Upstream O2's in, but havent had time to get it done yet. Do you think that the lack of the O2's could be causing the misfires, or the late shifts?

I noticed your signature is quite a bit of what I am wanting to do, If you dont mind I would love to pick your brain about the Custom MPFI set up that you are running. and also the EFI live not sure if I can do my own tunning or not, also curiouse as to how much it would cost to set up to do it.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't tell you for sure, but it could be contributing to the misfire problem, its hard to say without the truck here. the late shifts is likely a tune problem it sounds like.

yeah I've done alot of the mods you're planning on...I've writeen up alot of how to do them if you want to read about them...feel free to ask any questions I don't mind, but I'm going out of town for a week to cover SEMA and AAPEX for my site, so I won't be around to answer them until like the 7th or something. I can help you with EFILive too, I've been tuning for a while, and I'm a reseller for them. but I don't want to derail your thread too much, shoot me a PM and I'll get back to you when I return.

here is where most of my write ups are kept if you're interested in reading them:
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles.html
most of the stuff you'll be doing is in the performance and modifications section. and there are some other good reads in there too.

I don't have anything written up on my MPFI manifold yet, but here's a pic of it (this is my manifold, but not my engine.)
You must be registered for see images attach