Looking for opinions/pics of HIRs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mischiefse7en

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i decided against them after seeing reviews with pics, and also the super high price. There are better options

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Oh come on, you cant put off getting hammered for like an hour in the name of science???? :nono:
Well see it works kinda like this. My girl gets home from work around 6PM while it's still plenty daylight. We jump in the 300 and burn off for a nice restaurant across town and pop a bottle of the good stuff to go along with some excellent food. About 4 hours later sure it's dark, we're back at the house to continue having fun, and I'm not interested in tinkering with trucks...at all. :gr_grin:

As far as why I went ahead and ordered them, she's probably gonna end up driving the black C2500LD on a regular basis and I'm not going to expect her to put up with these flaky damn HID's. Not sure why they worked perfectly for a year or so then burnt up the harness, and haven't worked right since although I replaced the harness and a bad ballast...but I'm going to ditch the setup and some HIR's will be bright while still working off the original circuit. No wondering if they're going to come on every single time, or start UFO flashing while they're off, catch the harness on fire again, F all that!

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
OK, so today I played around with the HIR bulbs I bought, because I was determined to get the headlights working right one way or another. Cut and filed the one tab on each HIR bulb so they could all be installed (I got lows and highs.) Super easy to do. Gotta tell you though, I ain't impressed. I even spent the bucks to get them from Candlepower so they're "real" "legit" and not some of those fake ones off eBay. I didn't slap in any regular 9006's to compare, but I DID compare the high beam (9011) to a regular 9005. Maybe if it was dark I could tell, but in daylight in the shadow of the garage they looked the same. Scientific right? :gr_grin:

Anyway figured screwit and left the 9011's in as the high beams. Popped the connector off the passenger side ballast to check the HID's and found a corroded plug; must have got oxidized when it locked on previously and burnt up the relay harness. I think I've got the HID's sorted out now so they're in for the meantime.

Not the greatest pic since again it's daylight, the camera makes them look more the same than in person... but this is passenger side HIR 9012, driver's side DDM 35W 5000K HID.
You must be registered for see images attach

No comparison pic here, both sides are HIR 9011's in the high beams now.

Also, a few days ago installed my IPCW LED tails, 44 LED's each,

And I'll be honest about these as well. Not impressed with the brightness. They look good though...

Oh, and just because I'm that kinda guy, I replaced the CTS with a brand new Delphi. The old one seemed to read about the same at current temp, but once they start getting old I stop trusting them. Not like I'm keeping Delphi in business at $15/ea every couple years.

Richard

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
The real test would be a side by side comparison of the cut off line at night, HIR low beam one side and HID low beam on the other side.