Long Tube Header Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jfletch

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Having some problems with my header and exhaust install. I ordered some pacesetter long tube headers, x pipe, high flow cats, and two magnaflow mufflers. Guy at the exhaust shop is saying that its not possible to run true duals with the 2 door tahoes. Is this true? Hes saying it gets too close to a plastic fuel line to run dual pipes after the header and it has to go down to a single pipe at some point. Can somebody please show me pics of their exhaust setup if you've made it work? Or am I really stuck with a Y pipe to fake dual exhaust set up?

For additional info its a 99 2 door tahoe 4x4

I spent a lot of time doing research for this and its become quite expensive and now it seems like its not even going to work, please help!

upper_tanker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
He's wrong. If he says can't run true duals on your Tahoe, I'd probably take it somewhere else. My dad managed/worked at muffler shops for 20-25 years. Now, he owns a lawn company, and does exhaust work on the side (he has a bender). I watched him do mine, the same exact truck as yours, only 97. I have OBX stainless longtube headers. The only issue that I found was that my headers sort of point towards the outside of the vehicle. What I went and did, just for extra piece of mind, was got the heat shield wrap stuff and a few of the steel zip tie things. I wrapped the section of brake and fuel lines that were closest to the header. They were still 5"+ inches away, but I wanted the extra safety.

My dad ran my pipes up between the gas tank and spring shackles. It was a VERY tight fit, with dual 2.5" pipes. We did have to go and adjust (bend, dent a little) the pipes in some spots due to how tight it was. If I were you, I'd stick with 2"-2.25" pipes. Easier on the exhaust guy, and probably cheaper for you. 2-2.25" true duals is plenty of flow, even for a mild engine. I wish I'd have went with 2.25".

jfletch

Reaction score
He's wrong. If he says can't run true duals on your Tahoe, I'd probably take it somewhere else. My dad managed/worked at muffler shops for 20-25 years. Now, he owns a lawn company, and does exhaust work on the side (he has a bender). I watched him do mine, the same exact truck as yours, only 97. I have OBX stainless longtube headers. The only issue that I found was that my headers sort of point towards the outside of the vehicle. What I went and did, just for extra piece of mind, was got the heat shield wrap stuff and a few of the steel zip tie things. I wrapped the section of brake and fuel lines that were closest to the header. They were still 5"+ inches away, but I wanted the extra safety.

My dad ran my pipes up between the gas tank and spring shackles. It was a VERY tight fit, with dual 2.5" pipes. We did have to go and adjust (bend, dent a little) the pipes in some spots due to how tight it was. If I were you, I'd stick with 2"-2.25" pipes. Easier on the exhaust guy, and probably cheaper for you. 2-2.25" true duals is plenty of flow, even for a mild engine. I wish I'd have went with 2.25".

Thanks so much for the fast reply man I appreciate it! Is there anyway you could snag a pick of the set up for me if you have a chance?

castine917

Reaction score
Avoiding melting a plastic fuel line sounds smart. Can't is just a cop out. Find another shop. Follow upwith other shop on how they avoid line. Some insulating wrap should do the trick.

upper_tanker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will try to snag some pics. May be a while, it's in storage. IIRC, the headers were closest to steel lines (brake/fuel). I could be wrong, but I don't remember mine being close to any plastic lines. What's the part number of your headers?

castine917

Reaction score
I don't remember any plastic lines either but I have tbi and it is/could be different material and routing than the 99 setup. Even if lines are rubber or steel or anything else they should not be allowed to get excessively hot.

jfletch

Reaction score
Got everything fixed up now guys thanks for the advice! Going to be making a few videos to show everybody.
Here's one with open headers on the way to get my exhaust finished!
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chevyman71892

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a set of those.. where can I find a y pipe or crossover pipe so I can run a single 3"? Or do I have to make my own?

jfletch

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a set of those.. where can I find a y pipe or crossover pipe so I can run a single 3"? Or do I have to make my own?

Amazon, ebay, and most websites like summit will have the y pipe piece. It'll probably be a lot cheaper to have someone do the rest of the exhaust custom though, just buy your y pipe, cats, and a muffler.