Long cranking times

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya I hear that. If you pull it again check that screen, but otherwise that's all I got???

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
check the distrubutor cap hold down screw holes, they're plastic so its not uncommon for them to strip, or get old and crack enough to not hold the cap very well, even if it doesn't have a visable problem....it could be just a bad cap, I've seen bad ones out of the box before, not common, but not unheard of.

also your fuel pressure is a little bit on the low side, still in the 'drivable' range, but that could definitely be playing a role in the long starts, since the poppets function from pressure, even small changes can show problems...spec is 58-60psi key on engine off, and 55+ while running. so you're not far off, but its something to think about if the problem returns

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
check the distrubutor cap hold down screw holes, they're plastic so its not uncommon for them to strip, or get old and crack enough to not hold the cap very well, even if it doesn't have a visable problem....it could be just a bad cap, I've seen bad ones out of the box before, not common, but not unheard of.

also your fuel pressure is a little bit on the low side, still in the 'drivable' range, but that could definitely be playing a role in the long starts, since the poppets function from pressure, even small changes can show problems...spec is 58-60psi key on engine off, and 55+ while running. so you're not far off, but its something to think about if the problem returns

When I get access to a fuel pressure tester ill check it again. Also I have the updated spider system.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh yeah, okay, then the poppets wouldn't be a problem since you've got the updated one.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh yeah, okay, then the poppets wouldn't be a problem since you've got the updated one.

Yup. And the last time I tryed to rent a fuel pressure tester it would not read anything (next day after the readings I posted) so their guage may have been screwy that day too. Ill keep ya posted with what I find

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep, my original dizzy's walls were cracked. MSD Streetfire (aluminum bodied) dizzy fixed that.

Mine would have delayed/prolonged starts, it was the fuel pump.

°Truckin°