Locking Fuel Tank Door?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I suspect that it would corrode pretty fast, unless it was stainless. Is there even a place for it to catch so it actually does something?
There are some high quality cabinet locks out there but they're pricey; I'd guess stainless exists, but it's not something you'll find at the big box store. Lots of variations on the theme to choose from on length, pawl style, etc. I suppose you could make a slot in the plastic bucket behind the door but placement may be quite tricky to not interfere with the top of the cap.

Then some jackass just come along and crowbar your fuel door and wreck it, or drill the tank, like most of them are doing these days.

Decades ago when TX still used plate decals for the registration, we would get creative with the Xacto blade to slice them up, krazy glue them on, etc. to prevent theft. Then some toad actually crowbarred the license plate off my '67 Chevelle, left gouge marks in the bumper around the plate. I figure that was more out of spite than hopes of getting a usable plate out of the deal, because surely it wrecked the plate, too.

Richard

MILLCMACK

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are some high quality cabinet locks out there but they're pricey; I'd guess stainless exists, but it's not something you'll find at the big box store. Lots of variations on the theme to choose from on length, pawl style, etc. I suppose you could make a slot in the plastic bucket behind the door but placement may be quite tricky to not interfere with the top of the cap.

Then some jackass just come along and crowbar your fuel door and wreck it, or drill the tank, like most of them are doing these days.

Decades ago when TX still used plate decals for the registration, we would get creative with the Xacto blade to slice them up, krazy glue them on, etc. to prevent theft. Then some toad actually crowbarred the license plate off my '67 Chevelle, left gouge marks in the bumper around the plate. I figure that was more out of spite than hopes of getting a usable plate out of the deal, because surely it wrecked the plate, too.

Richard
this is what i mean by be forgettable. unfortunately, i know the first few hours or sometimes days after a criminal is jailed they generally do nothing but talk about and conspire against the person they suspect fouled the plan. they do this in a room full of others doing the same. be forgettable. criminals have no regard for your property- if they want it they will take it, its best to become inconvenient, not a challenge.

i get my truck back today and am going to start looking at running boards and a 1-2" drop to try and make it not worth crawling in the mud for. ill report back in a few weeks how my buddy fares with his dummy tanks.

Last edited:

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a Fortunate One. It is either to dmn cold, too much snow, or too dmn buggy in the summer. Out here in the sticks, maybe 2 months combined spring and fall, it is nice. And that is hunting, and target shooting season. Only a fool law breaker would want to adventure out here for a burglary. We all have dogs (mine is a SPCA mutt, terrified of the boom stick), but can he tong when an intruder encroaches our acreage.

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A door lock actuator wired to drivers door to push/pull a rod in/out of a hole inside gas door seems fairly effective to me. When truck is locked ,the fuel door is locked. Or ,could be wired separately.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
A door lock actuator wired to drivers door to push/pull a rod in/out of a hole inside gas door seems fairly effective to me. When truck is locked ,the fuel door is locked. Or ,could be wired separately.

That's the way my Volvo is setup, but it's broken or disabled.