location of the fuse for the roof console map lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIG_1088

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
hello

in the midst of fixing any of the interior bits and bobs with my truck, i came up onto the domelights (i have working domes now, yay :D) and the one thing i stumbled upon were the map lights

i changed the bulbs and the lights still didn't work, so i am gonna bet on it being a fuse that's out, problem is though is i can't figure out where the fuse is at/which one it is (some jackboot tore any diagrams off, leaving me blind with this)

if anyone has a fuse diagram for a 97 c1500, or an idea of which fuse it is, please share it with me. i apologize if this question has been asked before

thanks

-big

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Courtesy Lamps Fuse #3 in the dash fuse block, should be a 20A fuse. Problem is, if your dome lights are working, that fuse is fine. The wiring to the console may have issues.

Last edited:

BIG_1088

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Courtesy Lamps Fuse #3 in the dash fuse block, should be a 20A fuse. Problem is, if your dome lights are working, that fuse is fine. The wiring to the console may have issues.
as it turns out the terminals on the bulbs weren't making contact for the lamps to work

i threw new bulbs and a new fuse in (i thought you had to take down the entire console to change the bulbs, and wasted 30 minutes trying to undo a striped screw) and now they work perfectly

now to make them come on when the door opens alongside the domes too :pp:

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
That takes a little bit of custom wiring and diodes. I've done it on my 03 Blazer, but not the Sierra yet.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I forget who I stole this from, but this little schematic should help you . From my infamous "truck" folder.
You must be registered for see images attach

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
That works for the rears but not the fronts. The overhead console lights are hot-switched rather than ground-switched like the rest of them. You could swap the pins in the 2-pin connector (orange and black wires) at the lights and that would work tho.

Last edited:

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
as it turns out the terminals on the bulbs weren't making contact for the lamps to work

i threw new bulbs and a new fuse in (i thought you had to take down the entire console to change the bulbs, and wasted 30 minutes trying to undo a striped screw) and now they work perfectly

now to make them come on when the door opens alongside the domes too :pp:

How do you remove those clusters to access the bulbs?
Ditto the lamps set into the doors?

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
for the main overhead console, the lenses pop out of the housing with the use of a small flat-head screwdriver -- you'll see a tiny indent in the lens where you're supposed to pry from (it doesn't take much). For the rear lights, the circular housings twist within the dome light's body - push up lightly on the lens then twist your fingers counter-clockwise to remove the housing. For the middle rectangle, flat-head screwdriver it from the front or rear. Door lights can be tricky, but mine just pop out when I pry them with a flat-head screwdriver from the rear end of the housing.