Local Mom & Pop Vendors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
They're a dying breed, aren't they? I'm talking about the local specialty supplier that offers higher quality product than the chain stores. In Louisville Kentucky, there are two such examples left. One is a battery refurbish company that has the cheapest battery prices in town. I have used them a lot through the years and they have never let me down.
The second place is THE go-to for starters and alternators. They're the exclusive supplier for trucking companies, county agencies (police/fire/EMS, etc), and many shops. It's been ran out of the family's garage at their home since the '70s. The alternator just gave up in my truck. Chain stores want $85-$150 plus $25 core. The little garage? $75 & $10 core. And you can bet your *** that it'll be a quality piece!
What about you? Any "sure-thing" local suppliers left in your town?
I'm still disappointed in NAPA. They used to be all about quality and hard to find parts. They aren't crap, but definitely not what they used to be.

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They're a dying breed, aren't they? I'm talking about the local specialty supplier that offers higher quality product than the chain stores. In Louisville Kentucky, there are two such examples left. One is a battery refurbish company that has the cheapest battery prices in town. I have used them a lot through the years and they have never let me down.
The second place is THE go-to for starters and alternators. They're the exclusive supplier for trucking companies, county agencies (police/fire/EMS, etc), and many shops. It's been ran out of the family's garage at their home since the '70s. The alternator just gave up in my truck. Chain stores want $85-$150 plus $25 core. The little garage? $75 & $10 core. And you can bet your *** that it'll be a quality piece!
What about you? Any "sure-thing" local suppliers left in your town?
I'm still disappointed in NAPA. They used to be all about quality and hard to find parts. They aren't crap, but definitely not what they used to be.
Not necessarily a supplier, but there is a local electrician, and not just any electrician, specifically an AUTOMOTIVE electrician, this is in a town with like 15k people.
Incredible resource in an area where most people drive an old rig with at LEAST 1 "obsolete" electrical part, these guys can generally fix or re-work the system to make it work again.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Decades and I mean decades ago there was an Interstate Battery location on Washington Ave. in Houston that sold refurbed batteries for $20. They'd last about a year, but for $20, it was a good option for people that didn't have bucks for a new battery.

A bit more notable, a few miles down Washington there was AAA Generator which did starters, alternators, generators.. talk about some guys that really knew their trade; been there forever. They're gone now. :( But they could rebuild pretty much anything you'd imagine involved in a starting or charging system, including custom stuff. Examples: I had a '54 Chevy 210 that still had the 235 six cylinder, the car was converted from 6V to 12V system but still had the 6V starter. It cranked nice and fast until it burned out. :D They rebuilt the starter into 12V specs in its original body so it had zero fitment issues. Another time I took them a Caprice 9C1 with an alternator failure; the shaft nut had come loose and the pulley chewed up the shaft. He pressed a Ford style pulley/fan onto the shaft that had a sleeve style design and saved my alternator for a few bucks, which at the time would have been pricey to replace.

Now the only place like that I can think of is a joint over on Aldine Mail Rt. called Wood Alternator. They do repairs/rebuilds on pretty much anything but if it's a common item they might suggest a new (Chinese) replacement... :/

I liked to think I used to classify as one of those Mom & Pop style shops with my salvage yard. You wouldn't get a junk part from me. It was tested and known working and OEM, albeit used.

Richard

1ton-o-fun

Reaction score
Decades and I mean decades ago there was an Interstate Battery location on Washington Ave. in Houston that sold refurbed batteries for $20. They'd last about a year, but for $20, it was a good option for people that didn't have bucks for a new battery.

A bit more notable, a few miles down Washington there was AAA Generator which did starters, alternators, generators.. talk about some guys that really knew their trade; been there forever. They're gone now. :( But they could rebuild pretty much anything you'd imagine involved in a starting or charging system, including custom stuff. Examples: I had a '54 Chevy 210 that still had the 235 six cylinder, the car was converted from 6V to 12V system but still had the 6V starter. It cranked nice and fast until it burned out. :D They rebuilt the starter into 12V specs in its original body so it had zero fitment issues. Another time I took them a Caprice 9C1 with an alternator failure; the shaft nut had come loose and the pulley chewed up the shaft. He pressed a Ford style pulley/fan onto the shaft that had a sleeve style design and saved my alternator for a few bucks, which at the time would have been pricey to replace.

Now the only place like that I can think of is a joint over on Aldine Mail Rt. called Wood Alternator. They do repairs/rebuilds on pretty much anything but if it's a common item they might suggest a new (Chinese) replacement... :/

I liked to think I used to classify as one of those Mom & Pop style shops with my salvage yard. You wouldn't get a junk part from me. It was tested and known working and OEM, albeit used.

Richard
From what I've seen of your "internet character" (personality, not cartoon character) and knowledge, I bet you absolutely were in this category!

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
I was just talking with my wife the other day about this. Not just parts but Restaurant's Man years ago there was like 12 mom and pop joints in my town that were AWESOME today 3 are left as the 4th just closed as the old man retired. he made the best BBQ ive ever had no questions asked. and he stayed busy as ****. but they are all replaced with garbage chain stores. in the last 10 years only 1 chain store has entered our market thats any good IMO

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
There's a battery shop over on the southeast side of Houston ( on Long Drive between 610 and Wayside, down from the NAPA). The parts store guys referred me to them last year when I needed new battery cables ( and the factory style ones would have to come from out of state, take a week to come, and be hideously expensive). They made me a replacement for the 8 foot long positive cable that goes across the front of the engine compartment. Doesn't look exactly like the GM one, but it works just fine, and get this, it cost me less than $12. Republic Battery is the name of it, definitely an old school type place. I think they might work on starters and alternators too, might find out if those components start giving me problems. It's on one of my work routes, just gotta be by there when they're open!
There's probably more places like them in greater Houston area, but this is one I have good experience with. Years ago my dad had a guy in Stafford that repaired automotive electrical stuff. But they are long gone....
Just like there's not very many independent auto parts stores anymore. We closed our store in December 1987, and still occasionally run into former customers. They invariably miss us. I used to replace the common bad parts in the internal regulator Delcotron generator, if someone couldn't afford a complete replacement or didn't want one. Dad rebuilt a few GM starters for people, and I actually had a regular customer bring his Volvo's water pump assembly in so I could help him reassemble it. It didn't really take too long to do, and he bought me lunch! We would try to help people get their car fixed,as cheap as possible but still be safe and reliable. Of course cars were much simpler back in the 70s and 80s..... Now no one knows what a carburetor is ( unless they're over 40) much less where to get a carburetor kit.....

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd give just about anything to have one good mom and pop tire shop in this city. It's all chains, and my main mechanic doesn't do alignments. Taking my red truck into one of the few chain shops that hasn't wronged me in some way or another (yet) this morning to get the alignment checked and I'm already nervous.

1ton-o-fun

Reaction score
I'd give just about anything to have one good mom and pop tire shop in this city. It's all chains, and my main mechanic doesn't do alignments. Taking my red truck into one of the few chain shops that hasn't wronged me in some way or another (yet) this morning to get the alignment checked and I'm already nervous.
Hope it went well...

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hope it went well...

Still waiting...

I had an appointment for 8AM, reserved four days ago. I walked in the door at 7:55 and they were already slammed. Had to be 15 people in there waiting. The guy behind the counter was honest with me and said they probably wouldn't get to it until later in the day. No big deal as I had a ride coming anyway, but it still kind of bothers me. Apparently appointments don't mean anything to these guys.

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Still waiting...

I had an appointment for 8AM, reserved four days ago. I walked in the door at 7:55 and they were already slammed. Had to be 15 people in there waiting. The guy behind the counter was honest with me and said they probably wouldn't get to it until later in the day. No big deal as I had a ride coming anyway, but it still kind of bothers me. Apparently appointments don't mean anything to these guys.
I'd have turned around and walked out, plenty of places to get an alignment, and most people can't afford to have their rig down all day, especially a weekday. I mean if the engine was about to blow maybe I'd put up with that but just for an alignment? Thats some BS, gotta vote with your $$$.

Alignment better be perfect after all that at least.