Little truck trouble.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evatyl14

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Allright guys I need ya'lls help. So the other day I bought this truck. Its a 1998 chevy 350 z71. When buying it my cousin delievered it to me. he drove it on the trailer. but when he got here it would not start, so we figured it was the starts because I knew that the starter and water pump was bad. Well I bought a new starter and it still wouldn't start so I drained the oil and it was like chocolate milk. So I took it and had a buddy change the head gaskets and intake gaskets and headbolts and manifold bolts. Put all new NGK Plugs in. While doing that he put in a new water pump and fan clutch for me to. and Today at my other buddies shop we were fixing the dual exhaust, and found that there are no lines for the back brakes, and found that a union mid way on frame was welded shut to stop leak. so we fixed all that then found that the brake cylinder is bad so we changed that. Well after all this the truck is running funny. It'll idle real low and sometimes just die. in the process of putting in tranny slip fix, the engine killed twice. and when im driving and come to a stop it almost sputters out. and putting from park to reverse or drive it gets real low till I push on the footfeet. At one point it did throw the code for crankshaft sensor. and while driving down the road speeding up, around 50-55mph theres a kick, dad says its the drive line smacking, its almost like it lose grip of something and then smacks hard. doesn't do it all the time and I have no idea what it is, and now my pressure hose for power steering is bad, and theres 3 different lengths, not sure which to get. Lots of help needed, I wanna get this truck running right! Thank you!

TwoPedal98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm having the same idle and driveline "slap" issue myself haven't dug into it yet as I have other issues I'm working on at the moment but I'll let you know if I come up with anything

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Your running issues could be a multitude of things. Is the check engine light on? first step is to get fixed whatever is turning it on, and go from there. The only time i have heard "driveline slap" in these trucks is when something (the sun shell or planetary gears) were busted in the trans. If you are using slip stop, you might as well be saving for a transmission.

Evatyl14

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Engine light was never on, not sure how the timing is. The truck had a new tranny 30k ago and it was an older guy driving it. And we were thinking maybe it was the torque converter? My dad did find last night that the cam position sensor was unplugged. It did throw a code. And I don't believe it does anymore, havnt test drove sinse
Does anyone have a link for proper timing? Or what it's suppose to be timed at? When we had the scanner hooked up it was reading at 25-26 degrees. Thoughts?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Ignition timing does not move by turning the distributor. It is set by the crankshaft position sensor and the ecm. The injector timing is set by turning the distributor, and should be set with a scan tool to 0° + or - 2°

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Pardon me for saying so but I hope this truck was sub-$500 because it sounds like an enormous basket case...or at best, a parts truck. But among other things...why were you adding slip stop to a 30K transmission?

Richard

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
If the crank sensor was unplugged I'm guessing there was a reason

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk