Lifted or Lowered Need help please and thank you

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TacosnBeer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my 2 cents... long beds look better lifted - as do W/T trucks and yours is both. That thing is clean and wouldn't take much to look sweet. I had a lifted 2wd 93 on 35s and it was my favorite truck (see my signature - I've had a lot of cars/trucks). Rode like a Cadillac and never let me down! Lift it!!!

Myles Key

Reaction score
my 2 cents... long beds look better lifted - as do W/T trucks and yours is both. That thing is clean and wouldn't take much to look sweet. I had a lifted 2wd 93 on 35s and it was my favorite truck (see my signature - I've had a lot of cars/trucks). Rode like a Cadillac and never let me down! Lift it!!!

Thanks that’s some high evidence and support.. I like it and i completely agree with you

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Being 16, I'm pretty sure you'd like for your truck to help attract some romantic attention. Raising or lowering the truck or putting a loud exhaust or loud stereo doesn't mean as much as having it comfy and clean on the inside.

First, make sure the truck runs and drives safe. Good brakes with the rear drums adjusted properly. Tight steering with a good rag joint. The engine shouldn't stall or bog when entering traffic. Seat belts must work.

Then focus on the inside. If your seats are ratty, recover or replace them. If the carpet's stained, pull it out, pressure wash it, and spray it with some carpet paint. Replace all those broken trim bits. Make sure the door handles and windows work smoothly. If you open the door for a date, and the inside looks like a meth lab, you're getting nowhere.

Then focus on the outside. That ratty looking grille? Take it off, scrub the flakiness off, and spray it gloss or semi-gloss black. The clouded turn signal lenses? Less than $6 each on Rock Auto. Make it look showroom new, and your dates won't hesitate to hop in.

That's the easy stuff. Next, make sure the truck runs and drives tip-top. Once that's done, raise or lower it, but know it's never a once-and-done thing. There's always some extra work that comes along with modding. You'll introduce a new problem that you have to fix.

Raising the truck means more access underneath to get work done, but also having to climb into the engine bay to work on it. Lowering the truck means easier access to the engine bay, but always having to use jackstands when working under it. I prefer lowered vehicles, but I'm keeping my stepside at near the stock height so I can crawl under it - I'm dropping the rear to get rid of the stinkbug look. Unless you go crazy low, you won't have a problem with road hazards. Raising the truck will look goofy until you buy bigger wheels and tires. You can lower the truck and it will look fine on the stock rims and tires.

Keep us posted. Start a build thread.

X2. Solid advice

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just spent the weekend returning my 90 454SS to the factory stance. It had a 5/7 drop in it. I hated it!!!!! It bottomed out on every bump in the road. Plus I live in the mountains, so driving it aggressively around twisty mountain roads was scary to say the least. When it would bottom out the tires would leave the pavement and the truck would get loose. Not fun in a curve at all. The rear shock angle was not steep enough either. So wheel hop was horrible under hard acceleration. The wheel hop is completely gone now.
Another plus, looks like I will no longer need a jack just to change the oil.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 2WD Suburban is at stock height and will remain so. Being able to work underneath it without having to raise it (on jacks or stands) is a boon beyond price. So no lowering.
I sit high enough in it as it is without any reason to raise it so not going there either.

Each to their own though. One thing I have noticed on this forum - and ETA alluded to it - going either route entails snags that have to be properly sorted or things break, leak, wear out, etc. Drive shaft angle at the axle springs to mind.

Don't know the sketch in the USA but here in the UK any sort of modifications are usually punished with increased insurance premiums. Maybe worth checking in advance before getting the tools out.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know the sketch in the USA but here in the UK any sort of modifications are usually punished with increased insurance premiums. Maybe worth checking in advance before getting the tools out.
Modifications don't affect our premiums here in Freedomland. My truck is "low use", and I'm 48 with no accidents, so I pay about $100 every six months. Nobody cares that it has a big cam. Here in Greater Freedomland we don't even have any inspections. I pay my registration fee and they don't even check to see if my tires are good.