Legit cowl hood?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry here's the 4th pic.

You must be registered for see images attach

the air intake bolted to the firewall to me is more of a cold air intake. I wish they made one for our trucks. Personally I don’t care for the cowl hoods simply because it’s more of a look item rather than a true performance piece.

And if you drove down the road in the rain you notice as the water climbs up the hood from wind and car moving forward it tends to sit at the top of the hood in the two long rib lines. On my ford it pools up in the center rib and sits there. If it was high pressure in that cowl area it would be blowing onto the windshield.

yes without the ducting that it won't work as a "cowl hood" should, but when driving down the road you can't tell me that air isn't going thru the radiator and out the hood.

A minute amount of air will go out the hood cowl opening. It’s such a small opening and so much stuff in the way it’s really not a good place for air to exit. But the majority of the air will go out under the car. It’s the most open and easiest part for the air to escape.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a big reply with a bunch of quotes, but everything I wanted to say has already been covered.

Just to reinforce: None of the FACTORY ENGINEERED cowl setups, including shaker hood scoops and the like, were OPEN to the engine compartment. They were all sealed to the air cleaner with rubber or foam seals, specifically so that air COULD NOT "escape" into the engine compartment. Every bit of air that comes in a "cosmetic" "cowl induction hood" and blows around the engine compartment REDUCED air flow through the radiator.

You'd also get fumes from the engine compartment leaving the cowl hood opening when the vehicle was stopped or moving slowly, then get drawn back into the passenger compartment via the HVAC ducting at the base of the windshield. Again, that'd be a problem that the rubber or foam seals would reduce or prevent.

Show me a "cowl hood" that's NOT sealed to the engine air intake system, I'll show you an idiot who doesn't understand what the ACTUAL ENGINEERS were trying to accomplish--or the drawbacks of not following their "best practices".

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All the vehicle I've owned with cowl hoods, I NEVER had fumes come in from using said hood. I have 2 kids, and an ex wide who was super finicky n would ***** about any smell. I had a 79 Malibu with a 454 in it with a 4" glass hood, iron heads, bout 400 or so horse, 3 core aluminum radiator and a Ford Taurus fan. With the fan on would never get hot. As long as there was air moving thru the radiator, without the fan on, it never got hot.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I'm thinking about putting one of these on my dually, down the road.
You must be registered for see images

I think the shape and size would go well with the dually fenders, and a lowered stance should help too.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I'm thinking about putting one of these on my dually, down the road.
You must be registered for see images

I think the shape and size would go well with the dually fenders, and a lowered stance should help too.

If you're doing it for the look, more power to you. If you're doing it because you think heat will escape the engine bay at speed, you'll be disappointed. I suspect you're after the former.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
If you're doing it for the look, more power to you. If you're doing it because you think heat will escape the engine bay at speed, you'll be disappointed. I suspect you're after the former.
Definitely for the looks. Not one time over my many years have I thought a cowl induction hood was adding performance. I've owned a few, and even built one once. All for looks.