LED Gauge Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HorneDawgZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive replace all the lights in my truck with led. If i adjust the brightness with my light switch 70% of my blue lights start to flicker and look like there about to die. I can dim them a little bit and usually they are just fine after that. I want them on max brightness though without any issues. The switches and all that have resistors on the leds. The gauge cluster lights I'm not sure of i bought them off eBay. The right side of my gauge cluster blinks like it wants to die on max brightness and the left side is fine.

So my questions is. Is there anyway to install a Main resistor or some sort inside the cab that goes in place on the master illumination wires like over by the fuse box that could possible fix all?? Thanks

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Ive replace all the lights in my truck with led. If i adjust the brightness with my light switch 70% of my blue lights start to flicker and look like there about to die. I can dim them a little bit and usually they are just fine after that. I want them on max brightness though without any issues. The switches and all that have resistors on the leds. The gauge cluster lights I'm not sure of i bought them off eBay. The right side of my gauge cluster blinks like it wants to die on max brightness and the left side is fine.

So my questions is. Is there anyway to install a Main resistor or some sort inside the cab that goes in place on the master illumination wires like over by the fuse box that could possible fix all?? Thanks

Your problem is LEDs need a pwm dimmer in order to dim properly. Gmt400 light switched dim through resistance.

LEDs do not dim this way. Your resistance dimming switch ddrops the voltage and when it gets below the led threshold they just switch off. The 70% dimming is actually the led "flickering" at threshild value, trying to decide if it is going to be on or off. Further, operating LEDs on less than the spec voltage will cause them to heat up and burn out rather quickly.

A pwm dimmer "pulses" the voltage (pulse width modulation), essentially switching the led on and off very quickly. When it pulses slower, the effect you eye sees is dimmer. Fast pulsing or just on appears as bright to your eye.

I have installed LEDs and a pwm dimmer in my truck, but it requires a completely different circuit from OEM. I use the dash light switch to provide 12v to the pwm dimmer, which means it comes on and off with the dash switch selection. Dimming is a separate dial which controls the independent pwm circuit.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
BJ,

The PWM on your truck, is it hooked into the radio display as well? I have LEDs in every place in the dash I'm curious how it would affect the displays.

Nope, not yet.

It's just the cluster and the 4x4 switch so far. The switch was actually harder than the cluster to do. Very little room to work and build a new circuit and keep the switches functional. Nearly had to give up and stay with the bulbs.

The radio, I assume, also uses resistive dimming since it uses 12 volt bulbs for illumination. I've taken the radio apart before and changed the bulbs, which promptly burned out the ones I didn't change shortly after....:mad:

I'm planning to led the radio also, which will require a seprate circuit for the LEDs. Easy enough, there's lots of blank pins on the connector.

Tricky's_Limitedhoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mobs has a group FB page, hyper lights and installs and has someone helping him. Just check out the Facebook page and someone will get back to you. Just changed back too the cool white I got from them.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from a Phone Booth using Tapatalk

nortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got no response. What bulbs do I need

galaxy s3