Dash Gauge Jumping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean Sills

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guys, I have seen the thread about the needle on my gas gauge is like a hummingbirds wings. I'm not the most mechanically inclined and a little nervous about attempting to oil the thing. What advice would you give? Is there a place that you can buy one and send the old back as a core or what kind of business might be able to fix this?

Sean Sills

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok guys I found them on eBay but what about the mileage that shows on them? How do I match my mileage?

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Chances are you're going to run into the same issue with a used cluster tho. Oiling the air core motor should be very simple.. Turn the truck on and get an estimated position of the needle. Remember it. The cluster comes apart very easily, the air core motor is held into the cluster by two small Torx screws (I forget the T size), use a fork to remove the needle, oil the motor, and reverse disassemble, but don't reinstall the needle yet. Don't put the clear plastic back on the cluster, but install the cluster in the truck, turn it on, then replace the needle pointing where it was before you started. Put the rest of the truck back together, and you're done.

Sean Sills

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Chances are you're going to run into the same issue with a used cluster tho. Oiling the air core motor should be very simple.. Turn the truck on and get an estimated position of the needle. Remember it. The cluster comes apart very easily, the air core motor is held into the cluster by two small Torx screws (I forget the T size), use a fork to remove the needle, oil the motor, and reverse disassemble, but don't reinstall the needle yet. Don't put the clear plastic back on the cluster, but install the cluster in the truck, turn it on, then replace the needle pointing where it was before you started. Put the rest of the truck back together, and you're done.
Sounds so simple.