LED Gauge Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
I cant believe I never posted this one in here, but this was what happened when one of my red LEDs went out on me. I replaced it with one of my blue 194s with 9 leds on it. Bright SOB. Kind of a cool effect. I plan on completely redoing my gauges with tape LEDs when I get back from deployment to rid the hot spots and get a nice red glow. Also gonna clear my needles and get them to light up as well.

You must be registered for see images attach

A shot of my OH console with retro'd 194s in the bulbs. (Now have blue in them and light up the whole cab really nice)

Red LEDs under the dash

With blue LEDs when the doors are opened

(They are wired up now to where the reds turn off and the blue turn on when the doors open.)

Also retro'd in two blue leds into my head unit instead of the dull light blue it had.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I'll join in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T16Tic789dQ&feature=youtu.be

3MM flat tops in parallel running off a PWM dimmer for control.

The range markings coming out "magenta" is buggin the crap out of me. That's what happens when you filter blue through Orange I guess. Working on a plan for that right now....;)

Now working on the rest of the dash.

4x4 switch done.

Rewired to run leds on separate circuit:

New connector:

Lit up:

Now it can be wired into the same dimmer circuit as the gauge leds.

HVAC coming up.....then OEM radio.

:)

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Here it is mostly back together and running off the dimmer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uWxZnm0d48

Brightness turned waaaay down:

I'm into the whole project for about 25 bucks and about 8 hours of slack and idle type work.

The iphone makes it look a little blotchy for some reason. Maybe it's becuase its just and iphone or maybe it's struggling with low light. Regardless, the panel is smooth a clean in person.

:)

MrRiverRat

Reaction score
Has no one done this in 88-91 moonstyle gauges? I'm sure it's the same bulbs but I'd like to know if ill need to twist locks and how many bulbs ill need and the havc I saw my style already posted so I know what I need there thanks for any info y'all have

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yes, all of this retrofitting and plug 'n play has been done to all the gmt400 trucks.....finding the threads via search due to them prolly being archived, is a royal pain in the ass though.

And now that I've said it, I might as well get to digging -.-

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Finished up with what parts I had left and put it back together:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAUoQNdq_90

The dimming is a bit messed up because I was just using a 10K pot, not a proper PWM module but you get the idea.

The needles actually go out just a few ticks after the back light. They actually all go off the same time, you just loose the back lighting first because the needle LEDs are right up against the needle and the back lights are buried in the cluster.

It seems to be more visible to the iPhone camera, it's almost imperceptible in person. To the naked eye, it all looks like it goes off at the same time ....