leaking oil from front and back of motor..crank seals?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJKZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

my truck is leaking oil slightly from the front and back of the motor. you can see the dribbles on the bell housing cover, starter, oil filter. And on the front its just leaking around the harmonic balancer. im thinking it is the crank seals but i could be wrong. what does everyone else think? Trucks got 123,000 miles by the way.

AJKZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
no it does not have an oil cooler. on the passenger side of the radiator it has the trans cooler lines and on the drivers side where the oil cooler lines are supposed to be theres no lines. so i assume it didnt come with an oil cooler :shrug:

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the reason i asked was it seems the wettest near the oil filter housing there are o ring seals on that,on the front it sounds like the timing cover seal at the balancer

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Checked the oil pressure sending unit? They can leak and drip down to the pan. Pull the flex plate cover and see how it looks in there.

Looking at the pic, are you missing the pan bolt closest to the starter? Have you replaced the oil filer adapters gasket?

AJKZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No the bolt is just black so it looks like its missing. And I haven't done any of the gaskets on the motor other than the intake gaskets and seals

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck only has 55k on it and it leaks out of the rear main seal. If you're doing a cam swap at all replace all the front ones, and if you drop the tranny for any reason replace the rear one. If it's not to bad just live with it till you're doing one of those things.

AJKZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah im swapping my trans in march, so i figured while its out i might as well do the seals while im at it. do you think the front by the harmonic balancer is the seal too? and i gotta ask where did you find a truck with 55k??

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Most likely Front and rear main seals, and possibly pan gasket. You have the oil filter adapter with the cooler line ports, but someone before you must of got rid of the cooler and plugged everything, those cooler lines start to leak within months of replacement.

I used hondabond to fix my rear main seal when I did my tranny rebuild.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah im swapping my trans in march, so i figured while its out i might as well do the seals while im at it. do you think the front by the harmonic balancer is the seal too? and i gotta ask where did you find a truck with 55k??

They are out there. Just gotta look for em. There's an SS with 84k on C/L right now.