Leaking front axle cause/repair?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arctic Fox

Reaction score
As you can see in the picture I have a leak on the front right side. I'm rather new to this and am wondering what may be the cause and what I may need to do to fix this.

Thanks.

You must be registered for see images attach

mtl111

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The axle seal is leaking. Drain differential, remove CV axle, remove "stub" axle out of front differential. Remove old seal, drive in new seal, reassemble the rest. Thats a pretty quick explanation of how to do it. A service manual with details and torque specs are needed. It's not too tough!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Arctic Fox

Reaction score
The axle seal is leaking. Drain differential, remove CV axle, remove "stub" axle out of front differential. Remove old seal, drive in new seal, reassemble the rest. Thats a pretty quick explanation of how to do it. A service manual with details and torque specs are needed. It's not too tough!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thank you for the reply. I'll see what I can do to fix this!

Arctic Fox

Reaction score
It turns out the vent for the front end was plugged by mud daubers. Once those were removed the leak stopped.

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought my driver's side was leaning like crazy, actually changed it twice. Turns out the o ring for the axle vent was bad. GM issued a tech bulletin years ago because the seal had a tendency to leak when synthetic oil was used in the front diff. The white plastic version is the updated one, the black plastic vent is the original one.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
No need to drain the diff, just jack up one side of the truck so that the diff lube flows to the center section and into the opposite side axle tube.

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As you can see in the picture I have a leak on the front right side. I'm rather new to this and am wondering what may be the cause and what I may need to do to fix this.

Thanks.

You must be registered for see images attach
If you do ever need to change that axle seal on the passenger side you have to pull the whole tube off that side and remove the c clip. Then axle slides right out.