Leaking freeze plug?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

8T7K5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Crawled up under my truck today (96 K2500 Suburban/454) just looking. Found what looks to be like a leaking freeze plug where the block heater goes in. It's the freeze plug right above the starter. If it is leaking can it be fixed without yanking the engine? I swear..I fix one thing and 5 more things pop up.

You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found what looks to be like a leaking freeze plug where the block heater goes in. It's the freeze plug right above the starter.
That's not "a leaking freeze plug where the block heater goes in", that's a leaking block heater. That, or the heater is ancient and the housing is corroding from road splash.

They're sealed with an O-ring on the perimeter, and a tiny gasket where the screw in the middle is.

A new block heater would be something like $35, maybe less. When you get the old one out, be sure to clean the hole with emery cloth before popping the new one in. You'll probably have to drop the starter. "I" would drain the coolant using the block drain plug on that side (sometimes has the knock sensor screwed into the block drain hole.)

ZeroStart (Temro Philips) is twice the product that Kats is. I'll never buy another Katz heater.

8T7K5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's not "a leaking freeze plug where the block heater goes in", that's a leaking block heater. That, or the heater is ancient and the housing is corroding from road splash.

They're sealed with an O-ring on the perimeter, and a tiny gasket where the screw in the middle is.

A new block heater would be something like $35, maybe less. When you get the old one out, be sure to clean the hole with emery cloth before popping the new one in. You'll probably have to drop the starter. "I" would drain the coolant using the block drain plug on that side (sometimes has the knock sensor screwed into the block drain hole.)

ZeroStart (Temro Philips) is twice the product that Kats is. I'll never buy another Katz heater.

My suspicion is that the block heater is leaking. I plan on taking it out as soon as possible because I'll never need it. I appreciate it.