Leak under passenger side dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RMFSK1500

Reaction score
The thanks should go to @someotherguy for coming up with the fix. I just kept a copy in my truck file and post it when someone complains about the classic right passenger side leak.

Well thanks to him for finding it and thanks to you for keeping it up! I’m actually about to go out and look into it now !

scott_williams2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It didn’t completely fix it it just helped but anyways I watched the evaporator wit the ac on and it practically was pouring from the bottom onto the bottom of the box. Is that normal???? Drain isn’t clogged it leaks good. Regardless I’m not too worried about it Bc summer is pretty much over here I’ll worry about it next year...maybeeeeee

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, I wouldn’t say that it’s normal. I’m in Jackson and only had water on the floor when the evaporator froze over. The case doesn’t sweat, either.

Is it leaking from a seam or just sweating all over the place? Is the little rubber elbow still installed on the drain at the firewall?

It probably wouldn’t hurt to have the pressures checked on the system. But, like you said, summer is finally over it seems.

Garage Hack

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good info here. Does anyone know the part number for that little elbow on the firewall? Mine is missing and I can't find it on a parts diagram.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here you go...

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesss! If that little f' er isn't on there, it will pee on the floor! Learned about this with our first 99 Burb. Got to get a couple of those next time at the yard.
If it's PLUGGED, it'll flood the evaporator box. My Monte Carlo would mist out of the dash vents on left turns, when the water sloshed into the spinning blower fan. Corroded the heater blower resistor pack, too.

When I pulled the rubber drain off the firewall, I got what seemed like two quarts of water pouring out of that opening. Made a huge mess under the car. Had to blow a soggy mess of dead leaves out of the duckbill.

But if it's just missing, I don't know why the box would flood.

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
If it's PLUGGED, it'll flood the evaporator box. My Monte Carlo would mist out of the dash vents on left turns, when the water sloshed into the spinning blower fan. Corroded the heater blower resistor pack, too.

When I pulled the rubber drain off the firewall, I got what seemed like two quarts of water pouring out of that opening. Made a huge mess under the car. Had to blow a soggy mess of dead leaves out of the duckbill.

But if it's just missing, I don't know why the box would flood.
In theory, couldn't the drain elbow get plugged, and fall off or break? And if some of the plugging material was still in the drain hole/pipe, the evaporator box could still flood.....
Remember, I'm dealing with gulf coast humidity!