Leak under passenger side dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That cowl screw I pictured is only going to be a cause of a leak when it's raining (or other water introduction to the cowl, like a car wash.)

The sweating of the A/C box is gonna happen anywhere that it's really humid, like SE TX, MS, etc. it pretty much can't be helped. It's not the truck's fault..

Richard

Shane Dyer

Reaction score
Now that this has been solved, I've got a minor annoyance on my HVAC that I could use some help with. My 97 K1500 doesn't really switch between the different modes all that well (defrost, floor, etc.). No matter what setting I have it set on, air comes out of all 3 ducts. It will blow strongest out of the duct selected, but still has air going through all of them. Only bothers me when I run the AC in the mornings to clear out the humidity and it makes the windshield sweat. I had the motor that switches between modes replaced when I had the truck in for something else when I first got the truck, but I'm guessing the blend door isn't sealing because the actuator is working. Do I have to pull the dash to get to that part, or is it accessible after pulling the actuator?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Recently dealt with this issue myself on my 94. It was all of the blend doors as @east302 posted. I had to remove the dash to get that box out and replace all of the doors with new ones. Worked great ever since. Only thing is, you have to decide on if pulling the dash is worth it. Because believe me, if you don't have help, it's going to take a few days...

Kyle N

Reaction score
That's my thoughts. It's the drain hose that runs out under the hood from that box is stopped up. The condensation from the ac runs out that hose. Take the blower motor out and clean all the stuff out that's accumulated and then use an air hose under the hood to the drain hose and try blowing it out with the blower out. That way you will be able to remove what ever it blows out.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Recently dealt with this issue myself on my 94. It was all of the blend doors as @east302 posted. I had to remove the dash to get that box out and replace all of the doors with new ones. Worked great ever since. Only thing is, you have to decide on if pulling the dash is worth it. Because believe me, if you don't have help, it's going to take a few days...
I really was hoping I could just pull it out from underneath. I'll just wait then. The AC and heat both work, it's more of an annoyance than anything.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

CountryGrl

Reaction score
so I have a 97 k1500. I noticed a lot of water on my passenger floor mat. Well it appears I have a leak from the bolt holes and the ridge where the bottom half of the black box mounts to the top. Idk what u call this box. My question is if there is a gasket in the box that can go bad or maybe a clogged drain? I ruled out heater core because my radiator is slam full of green antifreeze and the leak is straight Unscented water. I’m trying to get it fixed ASAP Bc it’s ruining my carpet.
I had the exact same problem in my '88 K1500. Underneath the windshield cowl there is a drain. Mine was totally clogged, so instead of the water going out the drain, it was running inside the truck.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I had the exact same problem in my '88 K1500. Underneath the windshield cowl there is a drain. Mine was totally clogged, so instead of the water going out the drain, it was running inside the truck.
If you mean the black ductwork with the flap that drains to the cavity in between the fender and door, there's one on each side...so if one was clogged you may want to address the other one, too.

This is probably the one pic I've got with the coolant reservoir removed, but both of the cowl drain ducts still in place - other pics from project trucks have them removed so the pics are useless, lol.. anyway you can see driver and passenger side ducts clearly on opposite ends of the firewall; passenger side would normally be hidden by the coolant reservoir, driver side is just below the cruise module:

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

CountryGrl

Reaction score
If you are looking at the front of the truck, at the base of the windshield wipers is a grill. Its between the hood of the truck and the windshield. There are 4 Phillip's head screws that come out and that piece comes off. There are 2 drains under there. If they are clogged, the water will go inside your truck.

RMFSK1500

Reaction score
I think you will find the solution here and you will be surprised as to what it is. Thanks to @someotherguy for posting it a long time ago. My only contribution is putting it in my "truck" file where I can find it.Quite a few people have cursed over the good old right side leak and found that if they caulk this screw the problem goes away. Let us know if this is it.

Thanks man pretty sure this is exactly my problem!