Leak under passenger side dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
x2 on the evaporator drain, see if it’s clogged. If you haven’t done so already, pull the blower and clean out what you can from the face of the evaporator and inside the box.

How well does the air work? Does airflow stop after driving for a while?

The core box seam is sealed from the factory with a thin coating of RTV. I doubt that it was intended to be watertight or hold a large volume of water resulting from either a clogged drain or a frozen coil.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
x2 on the evaporator drain, see if it’s clogged. If you haven’t done so already, pull the blower and clean out what you can from the face of the evaporator and inside the box.

The core box seam is sealed from the factory with a thin coating of RTV. I doubt that it was intended to be watertight or hold a large volume of water resulting from either a clogged drain or a frozen coil.
Good point, after fixing the drain plug, you need to clean everything out. Last thing you want is crap mudding up your blower motor, not to mention the smell and health issues associated with airborne mold/mildew.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

scott_williams2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well you're correct, it isn't the heater core. My best guess is condensation. Is there a particular place you can see the moisture coming from? My guess would be from the blower motor which would be all the way on the passenger side, the round part up against the kick panel.

It’s coming from the seam of the heater core box where the bottom mounts to the top wit little screws

scott_williams2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I read the article u sent rawbdidit. I checked the drain on the outside like it said where it has the elbow and it blows a good cold flow of condensation and drips water. Doesn’t seem like it’s clogged...

scott_williams2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

No the air works pretty good no complaints except for the soaked floor mat

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I read the article u sent rawbdidit. I checked the drain on the outside like it said where it has the elbow and it blows a good cold flow of condensation and drips water. Doesn’t seem like it’s clogged...
If you're already there, I'd blow it out with some compressed air, just to be sure.

The heater core box there is sealed with a small bead of RTV IIRC. After 20+ years, wouldn't surprise me a bit that it's dried out, however if that was the cause, I'd be surprised, as this isn't a problem that comes up often on this forum, and I'm sure yours isn't the only one to have the RTV sealant fail after that amount of time. Unless you're in a part of the country that's obscenely humid in October, the symptoms you've listed primarily point to the drain system failing. Don't get me wrong, you should pull apart the heater core box, dry it out and clean any buildup that's accrued there, then reseal it with new RTV, but it sounds like the water in the heater core box is a symptom. I can't imagine that's normal operating conditions.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When my 98 leaked like that, the evaporator was freezing up. It was most noticeable after driving for an hour or so and airflow steadily diminished. That’s when it would start leaking.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When my 98 leaked like that, the evaporator was freezing up. It was most noticeable after driving for an hour or so and airflow steadily diminished. That’s when it would start leaking.
Just out of curiosity, how did you solve that issue?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I never really looked into it. Shortly after it started doing that, I accidentally broke one of the refrigerant hoses while doing the intake gaskets so that killed the ac for a year or two. I replaced everything with the a/c (evaporator, too) last year and it’s never worked better. It quit leaking as well.

From what I’ve read, the coil can freeze when it’s low on refrigerant but I’m not sure. The box did have some RTV on the seams, but it wasn’t consistent and wasn’t very much.