L96 6.0 swap into 97 obs??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevyreaper08

Reaction score
I've got the L96/6L90 combo in my suburban. I'd never put money into a 4-speed, the 6L90 is awesome.

But how much did that cost and is yours a 4x4 mine is i imagine it would be alot alot of.work to make.it work! I could be wrong and jdkustomz told me.i need a gen 4 6.0/4l80e harness if i wanna up to a 4l80e

Madscientist

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would try to get the trans too. It will be cheeper than trying to rewire to make your 4l60 work. Also. You will destroy your factory trans in 5000 miles or less. It will have a big performance gain with the 6 speed vs the 4 speed. Your transfer case will bolt up. (Done these swaps a few times) there is nothing wrong with your motor. i would get a cam and lifer kit to eliminate the VVT. Thats where the problems come from. Might as well throw a small cam in at the same time. Brian tooley racing makes a very nice complete kit for less than a $1000.

Chevyreaper08

Reaction score
I would try to get the trans too. It will be cheeper than trying to rewire to make your 4l60 work. Also. You will destroy your factory trans in 5000 miles or less. It will have a big performance gain with the 6 speed vs the 4 speed. Your transfer case will bolt up. (Done these swaps a few times) there is nothing wrong with your motor. i would get a cam and lifer kit to eliminate the VVT. Thats where the problems come from. Might as well throw a small cam in at the same time. Brian tooley racing makes a very nice complete kit for less than a $1000.
Thanks for the insight contacting the guy i got the engine from to see if he still has the transmission!! So i won't need the transfer case that comes with the 6l90

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
I could be wrong but you should be able to swap a 24x reluctor wheel on and run a 0411pcm to control the engine and 4l60e. I would personally run the 6L90 over the 4l60 though.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with the L96 swap as long as you use the 6 speed. Definitely remove the DOD because it's the main weakness of the gen 4.

Chevyreaper08

Reaction score
I don't see a problem with the L96 swap as long as you use the 6 speed. Definitely remove the DOD because it's the main weakness of the gen 4.
L96 does not have the active fuel management and yes i am gonna pick up the 6l90 trans thursday just lookin for a swap kit to drop it in...

Chevyreaper08

Reaction score
I could be wrong but you should be able to swap a 24x reluctor wheel on and run a 0411pcm to control the engine and 4l60e. I would personally run the 6L90 over the 4l60 though.
Ive heard suggestions on replacing the 58 reluctor wheel with the 24 heard the 58x will not last as long

Madscientist

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive heard suggestions on replacing the 58 reluctor wheel with the 24 heard the 58x will not last as long
Keep the 58x i have done alot of ls stuff, swaps and wiring. Ive personally never seen a problem with eithe . Just a little easier to tune the 58 because of the revised cam position sensor is more accurately placed.

Chevyreaper08

Reaction score
Keep the 58x i have done alot of ls stuff, swaps and wiring. Ive personally never seen a problem with eithe . Just a little easier to tune the 58 because of the revised cam position sensor is more accurately placed.
You have any links to what i would.need to drop the 6l90 in place of the 4l60e would.i need a different crossmember or extra support adapaters?

Madscientist

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have any links to what i would.need to drop the 6l90 in place of the 4l60e would.i need a different crossmember or extra support adapaters?
Ive just done them myself, i dont have any links. You can reuse the crossmember and depending on where you drop the motor in. I use my own mounts that mount the motor 1.5" higher so the ac from the gen IV will clear the frame. Last one i did had a 4l80e in it factory and the crossmember did not move. Reused the 6 speed mount.