6.0 LS into a 6.5/NV4500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bm23

Reaction score
Hello, I've had my eye on a truck for a while and I finally got around to asking about it and the guy said he'll give me a pretty good deal on it. It's a 95 GMC crew cab 4x4 dually with a 6.5 and an NV4500 behind it. I've never been a diesel guy and I don't plan to be, and I haven't heard great things about the 6.5s. I've LS swapped a GMT400 before, so I have a good idea of what I'm doing and what I'll need, but I'm unfamiliar with the differences in the diesels. My other concern is the trans, since the 6.5 shares the same bell housing pattern as the small blocks, and they share the same pattern as the LS, I don't see why I'd need any adapter plates but please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm unfamiliar with manual transmissions. So far this is the list of things I know I need:

Engine
Wiring harness
Motor mounts
Fuel lines
Fuel filter
Gas sending unit and pump
Exhaust system
Flexplate
Gauge cluster

What else will I need for the diesel to gas conversion? Will the hydroboost system need any modifications or will that work fine with the LS power steering system? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is kinda a no-help post...

The 6.5 controller and harness are completely different from the TBI pieces. The '95 diesel is fly-by-wire, with a PPS on the pedal; I have no idea if you can integrate that into the LS but surely the harness is an issue. Even if you can use the diesel controller the shift points will be awful for a gas motor, the diesel being limited to 3600rpm. The transmission spacing is the same between the 2-piece rear main seal gas motors and the diesel, so whatever LS spacing is common should work. The torque converter flashes to about 2500rpm on the 6.5, with something just north of 400lbs/ft so it might work with the LS but.
Hopefully someone here knows more specifics and oh BTW what are you planning for the takeout 6.5? ;)