L96 6.0 swap into 97 obs??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevyreaper08

Reaction score
Just purchased an l96 6.0 engine with 12.5k miles and i wanted to swap it into a 1997 k1500 4x4 that originally has the 350 vortec in it..
Ls swap shop in houston tells me to sell the notor and get an Lq9 because its less of a headache for the swap but also that the L96 engines are shot??
Any insight is appreciated bevause of course any LQ9 i fins will be easily iver 150k miles .. any guidance on whether to make this L96 engine work or abandon the project and find an Lq9 also need info on getting the parts i meedso links would be appreciated!! Sorry if its in the wrong forum or if this post has been done before...
You must be registered for see images attach

Chevyreaper08

Reaction score
Also i will be using my stock 4l60 transmission and when it gives out will get it beefed up to hold out... thats another concern because there is an engine harness off the 6.0 that went into the 4l90 transmission it had will that be a big issue as well since the 4l60 works only off stock ecu

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also i will be using my stock 4l60 transmission and when it gives out will get it beefed up to hold out... thats another concern because there is an engine harness off the 6.0 that went into the 4l90 transmission it had will that be a big issue as well since the 4l60 works only off stock ecu

You mean 6L90? I think you'd be better off pulling the entire engine, transmission, harness, computers, etc and swapping them into your truck. Making the 4l60 run with a gen IV computer sounds like a pain in the ass. 6L90 would be a much better transmission than a built 4l60 anyway. I've seen stage 8 million built 4l60s fail at less power than stock 6l80s are apparently surviving with good tuning. EDIT: Could just be bad builders though

That said I'm not LS swap expert so maybe it's easier than i think.

Last edited:

Chevyreaper08

Reaction score
You mean 6L90? I think you'd be better off pulling the entire engine, transmission, harness, computers, etc and swapping them into your truck. Making the 4l60 run with a gen IV computer sounds like a pain in the ass. 6L90 would be a much better transmission than a built 4l60 anyway. I've seen stage 8 million built 4l60s fail at less power than stock 6l80s are apparently surviving with good tuning.

You mean 6L90? I think you'd be better off pulling the entire engine, transmission, harness, computers, etc and swapping them into your truck. Making the 4l60 run with a gen IV computer sounds like a pain in the ass. 6L90 would be a much better transmission than a built 4l60 anyway. I've seen stage 8 million built 4l60s fail at less power than stock 6l80s are apparently surviving with good tuning.

Ive been thinkin the same in my mind the transmission also had 12.5k miles but i know its gonna add alot of work transfer case driveshafts 4x4 etc etc thats why im hesitant of dropping it in also but it would be a sweet setup to have in a obs for sure

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive been thinkin the same in my mind the transmission also had 12.5k miles but i know its gonna add alot of work transfer case driveshafts 4x4 etc etc thats why im hesitant of dropping it in also but it would be a sweet setup to have in a obs for sure

125k shouldnt be an issue. Change the fluid and send it.

I do agree though, you're going to get some money wrapped up into it making the transfer case work (probably adapters available? ). Or maybe using the transfer case that's with the 6l90 would be easiest? People are out there that make custom drive shafts.

Chevyreaper08

Reaction score
125k shouldnt be an issue. Change the fluid and send it.

I do agree though, you're going to get some money wrapped up into it making the transfer case work (probably adapters available? ). Or maybe using the transfer case that's with the 6l90 would be easiest? People are out there that make custom drive shafts.
Yessir and thats the thing the shop.recommends droppin in the lq9 with the 4l60 but its the same thing doubt itll hold some what my concern is going either route and ending up the same moneywise except the l96 gas 12.5k miles confirmed the lq9 would have 150k plus assuming... the hp on the l96 is 20 over the lq9 stock torque are equal

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yessir and thats the thing the shop.recommends droppin in the lq9 with the 4l60 but its the same thing doubt itll hold some what my concern is going either route and ending up the same moneywise except the l96 gas 12.5k miles confirmed the lq9 would have 150k plus assuming... the hp on the l96 is 20 over the lq9 stock torque are equal

Is budget a concern? If so.. Lq9 + 4l80e and send it. Odds of having any issues with a 150k lq9 is low, the 4l80e will be easy to integrate and control (0411 ecm). The 4l80e bone stock will handle any abuse a stock 6.0 can throw at it.

If not then L96 + 6Lxx tranny, the L96 and 6l90 will probably take more work to integrate, so it'll be more expensive. The 6l90(or 80) would just be awesome in a gmt400. As long as they're tuned well they're supposed to be stout.

Chevyreaper08

Reaction score
Is budget a concern? If so.. Lq9 + 4l80e and send it. Odds of having any issues with a 150k lq9 is low, the 4l80e will be easy to integrate and control (0411 ecm). The 4l80e bone stock will handle any abuse a stock 6.0 can throw at it.

If not then L96 + 6Lxx tranny, the L96 and 6l90 will probably take more work to integrate, so it'll be more expensive. The 6l90(or 80) would just be awesome in a gmt400. As long as they're tuned well they're supposed to be stout.
Right now i got a quote for 4700 lq9 installed using my 4l60 trans i bought the l96 with 12 thousand miles for 2k the owner still has the trans.and trasnfer case 1k for both so im just wondering how much would the l96 cost to integrate into my truck.with the stock for now an later upgrade to 4l80e or even the 6l90