L31

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
These motors are 9.4 compression, why add different pistons? Also, after looking at ur motor pics, can tell that has some miles lol.
I thought they were 8.7:1?

So you want to avoid a tune, when the fact remains that it would likely make a bigger impact than dropping coin on a 383 with a stock tune with any octane. . .
I'm not going to avoid a tune, I'm just not as experienced with tuning. I'm a quick learner, and will figure it out, but maybe a mild build would be smarter than something that will definitely throw the computer off

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I'm not going to avoid a tune, I'm just not as experienced with tuning. I'm a quick learner, and will figure it out, but maybe a mild build would be smarter than something that will definitely throw the computer off
You get intouch with
httptp://www.blackbearperformance.com/ and get an ECM that is all ready programmed to your specs for IDK $350 maybe. You just unplug your ECM, and plug in the BB ECM. Its that simple. If you send your ECM back to BB, they will refund you your deposit.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Nope they are 9.4. Even the light duty TBI engines were 9.3. The heavy duty TBI engines were the 8.7 ones.

If you are getting a PCM tuned anyway. Look into the 0411 swap.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Never mind...
Didnt mean to run you off lol.
The solvent I use is specifically designed for newer plastic intakes, but solvent is solvent lol.

Nope they are 9.4. Even the light duty TBI engines were 9.3. The heavy duty TBI engines were the 8.7 ones.

If you are getting a PCM tuned anyway. Look into the 0411 swap.
Learn something new every day!

But yes, I have a 411 out of a 2001 3500HD that i will be swaping into, and perhaps I should do the PCM swap before the engine, so I can get familiar with minor tuning?

But either way, parts have just been put on hold due to a few trips to the ER. So hopefully soon I'll catch back up and be back on the engine