L31 to LT1 swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You missed the part where the optical sensor is disregarded. I'm not saying it's THE way to go, but it's definitely a good way to go and the weaknesses of that ignition setup cease to exist. This is especially important now that good optis are so hard to come by.
'Cease to exist' yet in my personal experience. Those issues are still present. By no means am I saying the opti spark is a bad system, but I'm saying I've had horrible luck and experiences with them, and do not want it on my daily driver if all possible. Again, this is a personal preference, I'm not saying anyone who is running optispark is going to have issues, but I have had nothing but problems, and dont want to have to constantly fix or replace components on a daily driver

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
'Cease to exist' yet in my personal experience. Those issues are still present. By no means am I saying the opti spark is a bad system, but I'm saying I've had horrible luck and experiences with them, and do not want it on my daily driver if all possible. Again, this is a personal preference, I'm not saying anyone who is running optispark is going to have issues, but I have had nothing but problems, and dont want to have to constantly fix or replace components on a daily driver

It's not an optispark when the sensor is taken out of the equation. It's a distributor that will never eat a gear. I really don't see how it could give you fits at that point. You're relying solely on the 4x crank reluctor. This is a setup that very few know about, let alone understand and I'm trying to make more people aware of it. It's a dirt cheap stupid simple way to enjoy the LT1 without it's Achilles heel. I'd do this to my LT1 if I weren't planning an aluminum LS swap as the long term way ahead.

Mark Gilbert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do not believe you can run the 24x reluctor wheel from an LS motor on the lt1, you can however run a front mount 24x reluctor. EFI-connection manufacturers a kit to allow this.

I don't see any real advantage to running the p59 vs the p01, but I am not an expert. If you do get the p59 make sure you get one that has the IAC controller because not all of them have it. All p01 (0411) PCMs have it though.

I converted my gen 6 454 to coil near plug ignition because I hated the vortec distributor on my other truck that had the 5.7. It's a lot cheaper on the big block.

If you are looking for wiring diagrams LT1swap.com has a lot of useful information. https://www.gmtruckcentral.com/ also has quite a bit of information that could help.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's not an optispark when the sensor is taken out of the equation. It's a distributor that will never eat a gear. I really don't see how it could give you fits at that point. You're relying solely on the 4x crank reluctor. This is a setup that very few know about, let alone understand and I'm trying to make more people aware of it. It's a dirt cheap stupid simple way to enjoy the LT1 without it's Achilles heel. I'd do this to my LT1 if I weren't planning an aluminum LS swap as the long term way ahead.
Okay I see what you're saying now. The Vette is completely stock, still has all sensors, and a few updated parts (everything is written down in a notebook with the car) but it has been nothing but issues since day one. Now if that's really the major issue on the LT engines, I reckon I could probably give it a try. I'd rather be in my comfort zone of rear mounted distributors, but I know vortec gears arent the best anyways. If I get some time in the next few days I'll read up on that and see what my opinion is.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do not believe you can run the 24x reluctor wheel from an LS motor on the lt1, you can however run a front mount 24x reluctor. EFI-connection manufacturers a kit to allow this.

I don't see any real advantage to running the p59 vs the p01, but I am not an expert. If you do get the p59 make sure you get one that has the IAC controller because not all of them have it. All p01 (0411) PCMs have it though.

I converted my gen 6 454 to coil near plug ignition because I hated the vortec distributor on my other truck that had the 5.7. It's a lot cheaper on the big block.

If you are looking for wiring diagrams LT1swap.com has a lot of useful information. https://www.gmtruckcentral.com/ also has quite a bit of information that could help.
Now what do you exactly mean by the P59 and P01? I'm guessing PCM options in these cars?

On the wiring, I'll definitely need all the diagrams I can, and I'll be getting in touch with Lextech for the options on the 411 PCM

Mark Gilbert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The p01 is the original 0411 PCM used up to 2002 in most cases, it has blue and red connectors, and 512kb of ram. The p59 looks the same, and was used from 2003-2007 in most cases, it has blue and green connectors and has 1mb of ram and can provide a couple more functions. I don't honestly believe that using the p59 will give you any noticeable difference in performance or ease of tuning.

The 0411 (p01) can use a cable throttle body in every version, but the p59 has several service numbers that do not have the driver for the idle air control valve, and therefore cannot use a cable throttle body. You will need to go drive by wire in that case. There is a list of which service numbers have the driver. I can dig it up if you need.

From what I have heard, but not tried myself, you can run a p01 tune in a p59 just not the other way around.

Lextech seems to be getting harder to get a hold of, but he seems to be a pretty cool guy in my experience.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The p01 is the original 0411 PCM used up to 2002 in most cases, it has blue and red connectors, and 512kb of ram. The p59 looks the same, and was used from 2003-2007 in most cases, it has blue and green connectors and has 1mb of ram and can provide a couple more functions. I don't honestly believe that using the p59 will give you any noticeable difference in performance or ease of tuning.

The 0411 (p01) can use a cable throttle body in every version, but the p59 has several service numbers that do not have the driver for the idle air control valve, and therefore cannot use a cable throttle body. You will need to go drive by wire in that case. There is a list of which service numbers have the driver. I can dig it up if you need.

From what I have heard, but not tried myself, you can run a p01 tune in a p59 just not the other way around.

Lextech seems to be getting harder to get a hold of, but he seems to be a pretty cool guy in my experience.
Okay, that clears things up, I already have a 411 waiting to be sent to Lextech, I have already gotten ahold of him, but I'm just lolly gagging around to sending it.

I will be running a cable driven throttle body, so I would say in both cases of having a 411 already, and wanting to keep a throttle cable, the P59 PCM will be out of question

McBroom

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stupid question:
What pcm does the 4.3 V6 use?
It's the base model 1500 4x4

The Blue Mule

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I believe the P59 is part of the secret sauce with the Mexican OS for the setup Fast alluded to earlier in the thread. It also gives you flex fuel capability.

Mark Gilbert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stupid question:
What pcm does the 4.3 V6 use?
It's the base model 1500 4x4

The Blue Mule
Depending on the year it should still be the p01 or p59. The 0411 that I used to convert my 98 suburban with a 5.7 was originally out of a v6 blazer, 2002 if I remember correctly. It can run both. It's just a different OS.