L31 to LT1 swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
24x and 4x crank reluctors use the same OS, so identical tuning capabilities.
With the 24x setup you can run LS2 coils and have a more precise ignition timing if I'm not mistaken? Or would there be no real benefit over running a vortec distributor with a 4x timing cog?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With the 24x setup you can run LS2 coils and have a more precise ignition timing if I'm not mistaken? Or would there be no real benefit over running a vortec distributor with a 4x timing cog?
When I did the 24x setup there was a noticeable difference in TQ and HP.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
When I did the 24x setup there was a noticeable difference in TQ and HP.

Did you keep the same PCM and OS? The point I really wanted to drive home here is you can keep the low res crank sensor and still have all the features that the 24x enjoys like boost fueling/timing, 2 step, nitrous retard, etc.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you keep the same PCM and OS? The point I really wanted to drive home here is you can keep the low res crank sensor and still have all the features that the 24x enjoys like boost fueling/timing, 2 step, nitrous retard, etc.
But not the distributor delete.
Yes the 4x CAN do the same thing as a 24x on the same engine, but a 4x can not run a distributor less ignition setup. Although having an intake milled to accept a distributor can be accomplished in a more cost effective way, but if I can eliminate the vortec distributor issues, I'd gladly do so.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Yes...Then I swapped to a newer 03+ PCM. You can actually do the 03+ PCM as well keeping the 4x crank sensor and distributor. 03+ adds the ability to easily add flex fuel.

I have a factory flex fuel enabled 2003 or 2004 5.7/5spd factory calibration for the Green/Blue 1-meg PCM.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
But not the distributor delete.
Yes the 4x CAN do the same thing as a 24x on the same engine, but a 4x can not run a distributor less ignition setup. Although having an intake milled to accept a distributor can be accomplished in a more cost effective way, but if I can eliminate the vortec distributor issues, I'd gladly do so.

You don't drill the LT1 intake for the Vortec distributor, you run the opti as the distributor and ignore the failure prone optical sensor inside.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes...Then I swapped to a newer 03+ PCM. You can actually do the 03+ PCM as well keeping the 4x crank sensor and distributor. 03+ adds the ability to easily add flex fuel.

I have a factory flex fuel enabled 2003 or 2004 5.7/5spd factory calibration for the Green/Blue 1-meg PCM.

Isn't that a Mexican calibration? I suppose it's only in HPT format? I was under the impression that the 1MB PCM is where the real gains lie. Is that a P59 PCM? A little different than the early 1MB PCMs.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You don't drill the LT1 intake for the Vortec distributor, you run the opti as the distributor and ignore the failure prone optical sensor inside.
I refuse to run opti junk ignition as I have stated earlier in this thread. It is a great ignition setup, but I will not run it due to past experience with it. I was suckered into a tune up on a baby LT caprice when I first started in the mechanical world, told myself that was the only one I would do. About 4 months later, my uncle needed a tune up on his LT1 Corvette. And about 6 months ago, I had to do another tune up on a LT4 Corvette. They have left a bad taste in my mouth, as well as seeing how many issues my uncle has with his Vette due to the opti spark. This is personal preference, and I will be sticking to what I mention in this reply, but i will never choose opti spark if i had the choice between that any other ignition setup available.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You missed the part where the optical sensor is disregarded. I'm not saying it's THE way to go, but it's definitely a good way to go and the weaknesses of that ignition setup cease to exist. This is especially important now that good optis are so hard to come by.

Crookedaxle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You missed the part where the optical sensor is disregarded. I'm not saying it's THE way to go, but it's definitely a good way to go and the weaknesses of that ignition setup cease to exist. This is especially important now that good optis are so hard to come by.

What he said: ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑