L31 Extreme Budget Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is that comp too high for pump gas? I was always told not to go over 9.5:1, but that was with a stock cam.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Curious as to how the lt pistons compare in weight to the 305 pistons for crank balance/bobweight?
Believe it or not the LT1 pistons are all between the lightest and heaviest L30 pistons. 3-4 grams difference in the L30 pistons. The LT1 pistons were 1-2 grams difference. The LT1 pistons were about 1 gram heavier than 5 of the L30 pistons and 2-3 grams lighter than the other 3.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. I have a 305 Vortec Mercruiser the PO didn't winterize properly and broke the block as well. I was always under the impression a 305 crank/350 pistons was a no go.
The lightweight 350 pistons are a different story though. Using the 305 crank with the lightweight 350 pistons is actually even suggested in the LT1 rebuilders guide.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also, have you seen if you can get heat shields for them or if stock ones work?
going to be a PITA to get a spark plug socket on the plugs, but the stock vortec heatshields did fit on the passenger side. About to put the driverside together. I did some digging, so far have only found a pair of RH shields. They usually hit the scrap pile with the OEM manifolds or go back on the stock engines I put in.. I had to tweak the tabs a bit to get the bolts through them and they actually touch the manifolds, so not sure how useful they will be.

You must be registered for see images attach