L29 Coil near plug questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

8T7K5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As soon as my engine is back from the machine shop I'm planning on tackling the 0411 swap and coil near plug on my 99 big block. I've got a set of L21 valve covers and without having the engine to mock it up, it looks like (from pictures) the bottom of the resonator is going to interfere with the coils on the passenger side valve cover. Has anybody done cnp on an L29 and if so were there any clearance issues? I'd rather not mount the coils remotely, I'm trying to keep it as clean looking as possible.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's what i was afraid of. I wonder if a cold air intake would work since it comes straight off of the throttle body.
Possibly if coil brackets moved around the intake. Where two coils one one side and two coils on other side.
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 20210908_163940.jpg
    20210908_163940.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 13

8T7K5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
These are the L21 valve covers, I don't see any way to make it work short of moving the coils.

Possibly if coil brackets moved around the intake. Where two coils one one side and two coils on other side.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

JeremyNH

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put in cnc on my L31 a few months back and had to stack the coils on the drivers side forward. I put in a marine intake at the same time with the egr mounted outboard of the AC compressor so the valve to manifold tube goes where the coil was intended to mount. Even if not for that the coil wouldn't have cleared the compressor pressure switch harness so would have had to move anyway. Regardless I used some 1.5" steel spacers from my local True Value and longer bolts to stack the coils for #1 and #3 cylinders at the #3 location. Easy enough and it looked designed that way when I finished. Not the same motor as yours but stacking the coils using spacers should be platform independent and it does work well should you need to do it.

JeremyNH

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is the advantage of converting to this type of ignition?
Mostly reliability and maintenance of performance since there are no longer mechanical contacts to corrode. There are theoretically benefits to efficiency and power since the spark is more precisely controlled but at the low RPMs typical of truck motors it's marginal.