K1500 towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasCowboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a question about making a 95 k1500 better for towing. Is there a way like 2500 suspension or anything like that and make it like a heavy half of something like that? Any help would be awesome

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
I have 3/4 ton leaf springs on mine and I dont sag even close to as much as I did with the 1/2 ton springs. If you have a ten bolt getting a 14 bolt rear end would also help!

98slv

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome from Kansas! I'll be making my first trip ever to Texas next week, really looking forward to it.

To answer your question, a programmer, intake, and exhaust are places to get things going in the HP department. Add-a-leads or air-ride helper bags will help the rear out. All so look into a rear sway bar, anything to help stiffen/join the two sides and keep them more rigid and acting together will allow you to tow with more confidence.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
2500 suspension won't do much for you. That's mostly for GVWR, although the stiffer rear spring will help more with a bit of the "jello" feeling. If you just want it level, chuck a firestone ride rite air bag helper kit in there or something similar. At least when you're empty, you can drop them down to the min 10lbs and ride like a 1/2 ton again.

Best way to level a truck with a bumper tow trailer is with some kind of load equalizing hitch. It will also be much safer as the WD hitch transfers weight to the front tires which keeps your steering effective.

The most important question you need to answer first is what do you intend to tow?

Gooseneck, 5th wheel bumper pull, flat bed, enclosed trailer, and finally; the loaded weight.

Then you have to start looking at GVWR, RAWR, etc, etc.

This changes everything from brake and tire recommendations to gearing and engine choices.

Even if you do it all, you're still only LEGAL to what your truck is rated for on the door/vin.

If you get pulled over, there's a very big difference between what you can get rolling (stopping is even more important!) and what you can legally pull.

I'm not trying to sound like the weight police, but we need to know how you're going to use it before we can realistically answer your (very broad) question....

Last edited:

TexasCowboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I always end up hauling broke down cars and I had a 07 z71 and I would love for this truck to pull like that one did

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
So, around 5,000-8000 lbs (load and trailer) on a bumper tow?